The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 16th, 2024, 4:26am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
VCO pulling, (Read 6360 times)
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

VCO pulling,
Sep 16th, 2007, 8:10pm

Hi,

just wondering, how big of a problem is VCO pulling? I have a receiver which uses a direct conversion transmitter, and furthermore, the PA is not ON in receive mode. Therefore, i'm thinking that VCO pulling will not be a big issue.

cheers,
Aaron

hmm......seems direct conversion transmitters have a worse VCO pulling problem...

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
Aigneryu

Re: VCO pulling,
Reply #1 - Sep 16th, 2007, 9:47pm

Hi,

When your transmitter is on, the output of PA will be a carrier-modulated signal, which will be different from your VCO. So if you have some feedback path, the PA will still pull your VCO. So that is why the VCO frequency should avoid to be the same as your LO in a "integrated" "direct-conversion" (or low-IF). If you lock your VCO at 2x of the required LO, then you can prevent the pulling.

Sincerely,

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #2 - Sep 17th, 2007, 6:27pm

thanks for the reply,

one thing though, if we have a direct conversion transmitter and the modulated signal is symmetric about 0 Hz, the upconverted signal will also be symmetric about the LO. So therefore, can we expect much pulling effect. i.e. which way would it pull?

thanks,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
nxing
Community Member

God help the person
who help themselves

China
Reply #3 - Sep 19th, 2007, 4:20pm

It really depends on how strong your PA output and how linear it is. 2X LO is not necessary enough to prevent the pulling. THat's why some companies use 4X VCO or 3 X VCO.

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #4 - Sep 19th, 2007, 6:34pm

thanks for the advice  :)

I was quoting from memory, but i guess i was quite far off.

Aaron

View Profile   IP Logged
yang

Reply #5 - Sep 20th, 2007, 6:55am

Aigneryu wrote on Sep 16th, 2007, 9:47pm:
Hi,

So if you have some feedback path, the PA will still pull your VCO. So that is why the VCO frequency should avoid to be the same as your LO in a "integrated" "direct-conversion" (or low-IF).

Sincerely,  

Hi Aigneryu,

Could you please give us some examples of " So if you have some feedback path"? In my experience, the common VCC and Ground maybe a feedback path.

Best regards,
Yang

View Profile yang   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.