The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 15th, 2024, 2:16pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
diode in CMOS (Read 5055 times)
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

diode in CMOS
Sep 27th, 2007, 7:05am

Hi all,

If i want to make a diode, i can use a MOS transistor and connect the gate to the drain. However, the diode turn on voltage will equal Vth. Is there a way to have a diode with a turn on voltage closer to zero in CMOS? thanks,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
Stefan

Re: diode in CMOS
Reply #1 - Sep 27th, 2007, 7:10am

In some CMOS processes there are special low_Vth Transistors (and therefore also diodes) available.
As far as I remember they maybe go down to 0.18 V in CMOS processes.

How low do you need to go ?

View Profile 16731287   IP Logged
ACWWong
Community Fellow

Oxford, UK
Reply #2 - Sep 27th, 2007, 8:15am

yes using a low vt device if available...... and if your process has a Schottky Diode option thats even more cool....  (both though at the cost of the additional masks)

and of course you can size/bias a normal vth device to tweak its vth within reason (like utilsing short-channel effects or forward body biasing etc).

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #3 - Sep 27th, 2007, 9:29am

thanks,

how about VPNP? I need it as close to zero as possible really. I'm trying to rectify an RF signal, but the amplitude is only around 500 mV. I'm not trying to detect the power so loss isn't the most important issue...

Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
nxing
Community Member

God help the person
who help themselves

China
Reply #4 - Sep 27th, 2007, 9:53am

In some process, for example, TSMC. they provide native device which has the 0v Vth with no additional cost.
However, when you use MOS's diode connection, the I-V relationship is not as same as the real diode. for example, for a long-channel device, I=a*V^2 while in diode, I=e^(-v)....

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #5 - Sep 27th, 2007, 12:45pm

think outside the box ---

Use a comparator and a switch.

I have made those work up to 200-300 MHz

also, a lot of the diode models on foundry are not accurate at high frequencies.

Jerry

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #6 - Sep 27th, 2007, 8:48pm

Thanks for the advice.

Actually it would need to work up to 3 GHz...also, the comparator would need a lot of power. My idea was meant to save power Cheesy

Anyway after thinking about it i realized the idea probably wouldn't work even if i had the diode so nvm

thanks,
Aaron

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.