The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 17th, 2024, 9:36pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
LO buffer design (Read 3819 times)
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

LO buffer design
Sep 27th, 2007, 8:49pm

Hi all,

anybody have any good ideas on how to design a low power LO buffer? I find that for my low power receiver, the LO buffers require more power than the rest of the system combined.

thanks,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
Stefan

Re: LO buffer design
Reply #1 - Sep 27th, 2007, 11:32pm

Can you be a little bit more specific ?
Is it that the load the buffers need to drive is so low in resistance or the capacity so high (high current) ?
Maybe it's not the buffer that lead to the problem - is it a single stage or do you have more stages in series to get enough switching speed (What frequency ?) ?

View Profile 16731287   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #2 - Sep 28th, 2007, 1:50am

Hi,

the LO needs to drive a polyphase filter with a few hundred fF. The frequency is 2.4 GHz and i've been using a single stage buffer with inductive loads but i'm open to other possibilities. Also, I had to put the buffer in between the first and second stage of the polyphase filter to avoid signal distortion. So i need 1 buffer for each of the four phases (a lot of power).

Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
asb1211

Reply #3 - Oct 10th, 2007, 11:08pm

LO buffer reported so far always have very high power dissipation. I don't know in case of your design, but I also have to design LO buffer for passive mixer and for you can refer to commercial product specs or publications.
@ pHEMT 0.5um process, 5V VCC, it always requires a current about 45 mA (see HMC485MS8G datasheet) or @3V VCC, it is 10 mA (see ADL5350 datasheet); @BiCMOS 0.25um process, the current is 9mA to 65 mA  when VCC from 1.5 to 5 V (see A SILICON MMIC ACTIVE BALUN/RUFFER AMPLIFIER WITH HIGH LINEARITY AND LOW RESIDUAL PHASE NOISE)

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.