The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 7th, 2024, 2:38pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
DC DC converter (Read 5142 times)
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

DC DC converter
Sep 28th, 2007, 8:16pm

Hi all,

just a general question. Is it possible to design a integrated CMOS DC-DC converter to convert 1.8 V down to around 0.5 V to drive around 2 to 3 mA? If so, what sort of issues (like efficiency) would i run into?

thanks,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
Sid
Community Member

Re: DC DC converter
Reply #1 - Oct 3rd, 2007, 3:20pm

Hi,

If you do not mind a ~40% efficiency, a linear regulator will work! But, I am assuming you want more efficiency. The main problem is I think getting an on-chip inductor with low enough losses. However, even making large enough capacitors on-chip will be a challenge. May be you could consider using an off-chip inductor for your Buck converter. Just a few thoughts ...

-Sid

View Profile   IP Logged
Eugene

Re: DC DC converter
Reply #2 - Oct 10th, 2007, 8:29am

It's been a while since I dabbled in power electronics but I would think the diodes would present another efficiency problem. With a diode drop of 0.5 Volts and a standard buck converter topology, wouldn't the diode loss be a hefty fraction of the power delivered to the load? I think the only way around the diode problem might be to use synchronous rectification or perhaps some cool new topology I'm not aware of.

Comments?

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.