The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 17th, 2024, 3:26pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
question on comparator and its offset (Read 1821 times)
bharat
Community Member

question on comparator and its offset
Oct 02nd, 2007, 10:03am

All,
I have designed a comparator, which is at the receiver path and the data frequency is 833 Mhz in 65 nm technology. One input of comparator is input data and the other input is Vref, reference voltage.The rise/fall mismatch has very stringent specs as the output of comparator is driving the latch of FIFO logic.
Also there is an margining test where Vref voltage is moved to see where the system is failing. This manifests that due to Vref moving, duty cycle of comparator output has worsened and which is violating the setup time of Receiver.

For this circuit, I ran the transient simulation for the rise/fall mismatch of the output of the comparator. Usually, one should simulate the offset of the comparator. But as such there was no spec for the offset. My dilemma was, even I simulate the offset across PVT, there is no way I can translate the offset to rise/fall mismatch.
Therefore, I didn't run the DC offset simulation.

However, for any device mismatch, I ran the statistical tool ( in which I can vary W,L, Vth, Cox) and calculated the rise/fall mismatch. The std. dev. of r/f mismatch standard normal distribution
is sigma and the +/- 3*sigma is within the specification.
My explanation for random offset was that by varying W,L, Vth, Cox whatever random offset is occurring will translate into r/f mismatch and hence in std. dev of r/f mismatch.
Am I doing right thing by not simulating my design for offset?

Thanks

View Profile   IP Logged
HdrChopper
Community Fellow

Re: question on comparator and its offset
Reply #1 - Oct 4th, 2007, 6:51pm

Hi Bharat,

What I understand from your description is that you were able to estimate the +/- 3 sigma variation on the rise/fall time for your comparator, by considering the statistical variations you might get on the process parameters affecting the circuit.
These mismatches should translate into offset, but this offset would be important only when the input differential circuit is balanced (in linear mode). Under any other condition offset is meaningless for the comparator purposes.
Therefore it looks to me that with the rise/fall estimations you performed - assuming the statistical variations you got are valid - should be enough for guaranteeing the required specs.

Regards
Tosei

Keep it simple
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.