The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 28th, 2024, 3:13pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Data Converter measurement question (Read 3628 times)
Monkeybad

Data Converter measurement question
Oct 02nd, 2007, 11:33pm

When we want to measure an ADC, we need to generate a more high SNR sine wave and read the digital output code to do the FFT.
The sine wave can be generated from a device called "AWG" (any wave generate). I guess it is generated from a both more high speed and resolution DAC. Because we can generate an exactly digital code sine wave and convert it with a DAC to analog sine wave.
But to measure this high speed and resolution DAC, we need more high spec ADC to sample the output analog sine wave.
So, the situation comes like:
ADC=>more high spec DAC=>more high spec ADC=>more high spec DAC=>.......
My question is, what is the original data converter at beginning?
A very fast high resolution ADC or DAC? How to measure it?

View Profile   IP Logged
Stefan

Re: Data Converter measurement question
Reply #1 - Oct 3rd, 2007, 2:56am

Why do you insist on using an DAC for the sine wave generator ? There are ways to generate an analog sine wave which is not limited to DAC resolution.This makes it easy to generate an ideal sine wave to specify your ADC. (same for DAC)

View Profile 16731287   IP Logged
Monkeybad

Re: Data Converter measurement question
Reply #2 - Oct 3rd, 2007, 3:58am

Thanks! Stefan
It's just my guess. I think there are some convenient to use a DAC generated sine wave. For example; we can easily control the amplitude or frequency by changing the input digital code. Maybe use analog sine wave generating circuit can also do this.
But when we want to verify a DAC, we still need a same or more high spec ADC to sample it, isn't it?
Does it means that the speed and resolution of Data Converter is restricted to ADC?
Or there exist other way without using a ADC to test a DAC?

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.