The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 16th, 2024, 4:43am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Can Code Density method insure ADC monotonicity? (Read 7439 times)
ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
Can Code Density method insure ADC monotonicity?
Oct 09th, 2007, 11:32pm

Hi Guys,

Many literatures state that DNL < 1 LSB guarantee ADC monotonicity. We often use code density (histogram) method to measure the DNL/INL. Can this method insure ADC monotonicity? Furthuremore, as indicated in the tutorial http://www.analog.com/zh/content/0,2886,761%255F795%255F91286%255F0,00.html, there are code transition noise. So how do I identify if the ADC is monotonicity when there are code transition noise? Is code density method enough to detect any non-monotonicity?

Thanks
Yawei

View Profile   IP Logged
Frank Wiedmann
Community Fellow

Munich, Germany
Re: Can Code Density method insure ADC monotonicit
Reply #1 - Oct 10th, 2007, 1:30am

You cannot test ADC monotonicity with a histogram test. See e.g. page 362 of the Stanford EE315 Course Reader by Boris Murmann, available in the handouts section of http://eeclass.stanford.edu/ee315/.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
vivkr
Community Fellow

Reply #2 - Oct 10th, 2007, 2:42am

Ah! That one confirms a long-standing suspicion of mine. Thanks for that link Frank.

However, I have to say that a reasonably well-designed ADC ought not to have such weird flips. After all, it is not so
easy for 2 adjacent codes to get flipped without any visible impact on the other codes.

Don't you think?

Regards
Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
Reply #3 - Oct 10th, 2007, 7:33pm

Frank,

Thank you. Your reply clear my confusion.

Normally, which test method is used to check the monotonicity? Checking the ADC output directly?

BTW, the last slide on page 362, it reads that INL looks a lot like there are 5 missing codes. I don't understand it.  :(

Yawei

View Profile   IP Logged
Frank Wiedmann
Community Fellow

Munich, Germany
Reply #4 - Oct 11th, 2007, 12:13am

Yes, you will have to look at the ADC output directly.

A missing code is defined as a code with DNL≤-0.9 by IEEE Standard 1241-2000. I believe that Boris Murmann is referring to the fact that these codes may be much easier to find in the INL plot, which is the integral of the DNL plot and where the missing codes appear as downward steps. This is especially true if you have very many codes like in his example so that there may not be a pixel in the plot for every single code. I cannot tell you where exactly he is seeing the 5 missing codes, however.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.