The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 20th, 2024, 4:05pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
MOS weak inversion=sub threshold? (Read 4933 times)
HdrChopper
Community Fellow

MOS weak inversion=sub threshold?
Oct 24th, 2007, 7:56pm

Hi all,

I barely dealt with MOS devices in weak inversion condition before, and now I'm facing such problem. I have a basic question concerning the differences (if any) between weak inversion condition and sub-threshold. Undecided

From what I know, weak inversion could be achieved under the following conditions:

1) if VG < VTH (subthreshold)
2) if  VG > VTH and both VS and VD are higher than the pinch-off voltage

From my standpoint, scenario #2 is different than #1 since the channel was previously well stablished (strong inversion) and afterwards the pinch-off condition is reached. On the other hand in #1 there are some free minority carriers which comprise the sub-threshold current, which is mainly a diffusion current.

I also know both conditions are well modeled by ID being exponentially dependent on the gate voltage, but not sure if the parameters are the same (I would expect they are different).

Could anyone enlighten me about the differences about these two operating conditions for a MOS device?

Many thanks
tosei

Keep it simple
View Profile   IP Logged
vivkr
Community Fellow

Re: MOS weak inversion=sub threshold?
Reply #1 - Oct 25th, 2007, 12:54am

Hi Tosei,

I don't see any difference between the 2 situations. I see that you are using the bulk terminal as your reference.

The only difference between (1) & (2) is that the VTH (referred to source) is now higher. There is no channel
in either case. Once VS & VD both have crossed the pinchoff point, the channel ceases to exist.

Regards
Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
HdrChopper
Community Fellow

Reply #2 - Oct 25th, 2007, 6:49pm

Hi Vivek,

Thanks much for your answer. However, I'm still a little bit confused:
In which case you are saying that VTH is higher? I understand that there is no channel in both cases; so I guess I'm getting confused with the references I'm using.

Thanks & Regards
Tosei

Keep it simple
View Profile   IP Logged
fran2k5

Reply #3 - Jan 12th, 2008, 8:12am

Hi,

weak inversion and sub-threshold mean the same thing. The first term is mostly used by the analogue design community, the second term by the digital design community.

Regards,

fran2k5

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.