The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 15th, 2024, 9:19am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
PLL Linear Model, in matlab,simulink or canence? (Read 7104 times)
Sarig

PLL Linear Model, in matlab,simulink or canence?
Oct 27th, 2007, 11:34am

Hello,
I need Help:
1) I don't know how to build a PLL model for Noise. In which tool do I build a linear model including noise sources?
2) In which tool do I design the loop parameters ?
2) How do I plot Phase noise in Matlab/Simulink ?

HELP ME!!!!!
Thanks,
Erez

View Profile   IP Logged
pancho_hideboo
Senior Fellow

Real Homeless
Re:  PLL Linear Model, in matlab,simulink or
Reply #1 - Oct 28th, 2007, 10:29pm

View Profile WWW Top+Secret Top+Secret   IP Logged
Eugene

Reply #2 - Oct 29th, 2007, 10:51pm

For linear analysis, I recommend Excel, Matlab, Mathcad, or Mathematica. You should be able to do the linear analysis without resorting to simulation. An analytic approach is faster, more flexible, and better suited for high powered data visualization (such as an animated 3D root locus). However, I would check my analysis with a behavioral simulation based on VerilogA models. One advantage of a simulator-based approach is that you can bring circuit optimizers to bear on the optimization problem.

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #3 - Nov 2nd, 2007, 9:52am

Eugene - I agree - my last PLL was Excel to get the control system stuff right, then Verilog AMS for all the blocks, then,  single block simulations on test benches, then off to mixed level simulations using the Verilog AMS models in conjunction with the transistor level blocks. -- Jerry

Eugene wrote on Oct 29th, 2007, 10:51pm:
For linear analysis, I recommend Excel, Matlab, Mathcad, or Mathematica. You should be able to do the linear analysis without resorting to simulation. An analytic approach is faster, more flexible, and better suited for high powered data visualization (such as an animated 3D root locus). However, I would check my analysis with a behavioral simulation based on VerilogA models. One advantage of a simulator-based approach is that you can bring circuit optimizers to bear on the optimization problem.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.