The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 27th, 2024, 7:29pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
IIP3 of differential pair using Cadence (Read 641 times)
Julian18
Community Member

IIP3 of differential pair using Cadence
Oct 29th, 2007, 7:36am

Hi, there

I want to see the IIP3 of a differential pair amp, the circuit is shown below, but when I changed the resistance of the port, the IIP3 also changed, and the values are btw  -2dbm to 29dbm (1K Ohms to 0.1Ohms ) , so how can i choose the right value for the IIP3 of my ckt? ( The load of differential pair is resistor.)

By the way, I also have simulated the situation where the resistor in parallel to the port is cut, and this time i also got different IIP3 values as I changed the resistance value associated with the port.

So what is the right setup and what is the right value of IIP3?  Thanks

Screenshot-18_1.PNG
View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Re: IIP3 of differential pair using Cadence
Reply #1 - Oct 29th, 2007, 2:04pm

I don't think you want the port at the output. Try getting rid of it.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Re: IIP3 of differential pair using Cadence
Reply #2 - Oct 29th, 2007, 6:23pm

Hi,

I think you don't need pres either. Is that for matching? You should find your IIP3 in terms of voltage or volts squared. What i do is I use the PSS and PAC analysis, and use the output currents to test IIP3. The IIP3 will be a power value and you should note it down. After that, use the PAC form to plot the input voltage versus input power. You can then easily read off your IIP3 in terms of voltage using the power you noted down earlier.

I'm not sure if there is a direct way of sweeping an input voltage instead of input power to get IIP3.

Oh yeah, you don't need to change the resistance of the port. If you do, it shouldn't affect the IIP3 (in volts), but it may affect the IIP3 in power since the resistance of the input port directly affects the voltage at the input node.

cheers,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.