The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 15th, 2024, 3:17pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Jitter from phas noise...who knows the answer (Read 4201 times)
Erez_Sarig

Jitter from phas noise...who knows the answer
Oct 31st, 2007, 7:05am

Hello,
Here is a hard question.
IF you want to compute a Jc (Cycle Jitter) from Phase noise there are 2 ways but results are different, which is the right one and why?
the ways are:

1) Jc^2=(1/(pi*fc)^2)*∫S(f)*sinē(pif/fc)df
2) Jc =(1/(2*pi*fc)))*√(∫(S(f)df)

S(f) is the PSD of phase noise

So.... who is the one to know the answer ?
Erez

View Profile   IP Logged
Stefan

Re: Jitter from phas noise...who knows the answer
Reply #1 - Oct 31st, 2007, 8:12am

to my knowledge it can be calculated like this (assuming white noise sources only!) :

The PSD of the jitter

Stau(f) = Sphi(f) * sin^2(pi f/f0)/(pi f0)^2

For white noise sources Sphi(f) equals 2*Sw/(f)^2

Then you can use the Wiener-Khinchime Theorem to calculate the mean square value sigma^2

so

sigma^2 = int(0,+infinity) Sphi(f) * sin^2(pi f /f0)/(pi f0)^2 df=Sw/f0^3

with the definition of the phasenoise as

L(f)=Sphi(f)/2 this leads to

L(f)=sigma^2 f0^3/f^2

J = sqrt(sigma^2)

Ken Kundert uses a slightly different approach from Demir et Al. but comes up to the same result.

Does that answer your questions ?

View Profile 16731287   IP Logged
Erez_Sarig

Reply #2 - Oct 31st, 2007, 9:13am

Hi,
Thanks for the answer but I don't understand.
Jc =(1/(2*pi*fc)))*√(∫(S(f)df) --> there is no Sinē , where did it go? is it only correct for White noise source to use this formula ? can you explain?
As I understand the sinē went because you can assume its 1/2 (rms of sin) intg(a*b) ~=intg(a)intg(b)=intg(a)*1/2 (where "b" is the sinē)

Thanks,
Erez

P.S can you direct me to files also ?

View Profile   IP Logged
Stefan

Reply #3 - Oct 31st, 2007, 9:44am

You should start reading the papers from ken kundert about jitter and phase noise and from Demir et Al.
You can find them on ieeexplorer.

According to the white noise sources ... remember that the Phasenoise may have different steepness over the range. Assuming only white noise sources leads to 20dB/dec over the whole range (valid only in certain areas).

View Profile 16731287   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #4 - Nov 2nd, 2007, 9:43am

What I find funny about the whole jitter question is that at the end of the day the theoretical expectations tend to be totally lost in the noise (bad pun) of the environmental noise of cross coupling, power and ground rail noise and similar.

Most of the time people dont model all of the second order effects. For ring oscillators, all the second order junk tends to dominate the performance and the theoretical expctations are created from a deficient model.

GIGO - results are only as good as the model simulated.

LC VCO's tend to be closer in correlation to the model due a simpler architecture and less sources of second order problems. However, in the RF world people tend to talk "spectral spreading" for these, rather than "jitter"

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Sarig

Reply #5 - Nov 2nd, 2007, 10:06am

well people i know the answer to my question.
the cycle jitter is calculate exactly using the sinē. this sinē is just coming from the fact you sample 2 egdes. it is exactly CDS.(Correlated duble sampling.)
the other equation "Jc =((1/(2*pi*fc)))*√(∫(S(f)df))" is worng it is Jee not Jc. for white noise you can assume Jc=sqrt(2)Jee

And about other noise sources... well, as I am an Analog designer so I know to find my way in PSRR,supply seperation and more...and I agree that they can kill your design.
Thanks,
Erez

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.