The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 16th, 2024, 3:17pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
single layer oxide deposition process (Read 5855 times)
vivkr
Community Fellow

single layer oxide deposition process
Nov 23rd, 2007, 2:50am

http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/oct07/5553

The above article describes how Intel engineered their latest transistors in 45 nm.
One small point mentioned is that the oxide layer is grown one atomic layer at a time,
and this process is perfectly controllable. Apparently, other foundries working at 45 nm level
have had to do the same.

A potential advantage one sees is the considerable improvement in matching and 1/f noise, if
the oxide growth is so well controlled. Does anyone know about these details or have any comments?
One of course does not expect the lateral dimensions to be as well controlled as the vertical (matching),
but 1/f surely should get better.

Of course, the above improvements do not make analog design at 45 nm much easier.

Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
krishnap
Community Member

Re: single layer oxide deposition process
Reply #1 - Nov 28th, 2007, 3:12am

gate leakage is more in this case, because of the thinner gate oxide.

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #2 - Nov 28th, 2007, 8:01am

krishnap wrote on Nov 28th, 2007, 3:12am:
gate leakage is more in this case, because of the thinner gate oxide.

Isn't it that same article (or maybe another one, referenced in the one cited above) that they talk about new high-k oxides (not SiO2) that reduce the gate leakage?

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
ACWWong
Community Fellow

Oxford, UK
Reply #3 - Nov 28th, 2007, 3:24pm

Geoffrey_Coram wrote on Nov 28th, 2007, 8:01am:
Isn't it that same article (or maybe another one, referenced in the one cited above) that they talk about new high-k oxides (not SiO2) that reduce the gate leakage?

yes, thats what i read as well... i think the point of the article is to say that using hi-k dielectric for the gate insulation allows a physically thicker gate (and so less gate leakage) but maintain the electrical field as if it was very thin SiO2... i.e. at 45nm technologies and beyond it'll probably be metal gate, hi-k dielectric devices rather than the poly gate with very thin SiO2 leaky devices we have now... but i agree it would be nice to get a hold of some analog device models/characteristics to see the performance etc.

View Profile   IP Logged
vivkr
Community Fellow

Reply #4 - Nov 28th, 2007, 11:00pm

Hi everyone,

My question was not about leakage at all. We all know that thinner gate oxides (newer processes) typically
have higher leakage. This one has high-K and so the leakage is probably a bit reduced.

The main question I had was about 1/f noise and matching, things which are not specified in the article. Since the 45 nm technology (not just Intel's but also from other vendors) uses a different, more precise method of oxide deposition, there should be much better oxide control and so lower 1/f noise.

Matching should also improve in principle. Usually, it anyway does as one goes to finer and finer features, but here, there should a significant jump due to change in processing method.

Has anyone worked in any 45 nm process? Perhaps, they can provide some insight into the performance improvement in terms of 1/f and matching when compared to say 65 nm, or 90 nm.

Regards
Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #5 - Nov 29th, 2007, 6:36am

Indeed, Krishnap got us sidetracked.  But I don't have any experience I can share about 45nm and 1/f.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Berti
Community Fellow

Reply #6 - Nov 29th, 2007, 10:20pm

Hello,

I don't have any experience, too. ...but I think the main problem with high-k dielectrics and metal gates is
that the processing is difficult since the lattice structer doesn't match silicon as good as SiO2 does.
Therefore, even with better process control, flicker noise and matching might not become better because of
more interface defects.

But however, I am not a physician.
Regards

« Last Edit: Nov 30th, 2007, 5:05am by Berti »  
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.