The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 28th, 2024, 3:13pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
recommendations for 50 ohm buffer design (Read 7683 times)
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

recommendations for 50 ohm buffer design
Nov 26th, 2007, 11:46pm

Hi all,

i'm just looking for recommendations on 50 ohm output buffer design using 0.18 um CMOS. Its for on-wafer probing and the output signals are differential. Also the equipment is all 50 ohm. It is for a frequency range of 0.1 MHz to around 50 MHz.

thanks,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
edward.yin

CHN
Re: recommendations for 50 ohm buffer design
Reply #1 - Dec 1st, 2007, 12:37am

I need it too, I find it so difficult to design if your power consumption budget is limited.
Always, I will use the emitter follower, but it needs a lot of current to drive 50 Ohm load.

View Profile edward.yin   IP Logged
pancho_hideboo
Senior Fellow

Real Homeless
Reply #2 - Dec 1st, 2007, 2:04am

What amplitude do you expect in 50ohm load ?

Buffer amplifier have to have current sink and source abilities which satisfy current>=amplitude/50ohm as well as voltage headroom.
If amplitude is large, we can't reduce MOS size and bias current.

But if amplitude is relative small and frequency is around 50MHz, the design specification of your buffer is to achieve low output impedance.
In this case, you can realize low impedance by source follower having local feedback without increasing bias current.

« Last Edit: Dec 1st, 2007, 3:39am by pancho_hideboo »  
View Profile WWW Top+Secret Top+Secret   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #3 - Dec 6th, 2007, 5:17pm

consider an OTA (current dumped out) type of output into an external resistive load. With an internal feedback amplifier to adjust the output current, these generally give reasonable results. Its a class A amplifier and not power efficient, but if you are driving an external 50 ohm load there really is not much that can be done for power effiencency.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Berti
Community Fellow

Reply #4 - Dec 6th, 2007, 11:35pm

Hi loose-electron,

the proposed circuit sounds interesting. But what's about linearity? Do you think 14-15b linearity
can be achieved with such a structure.

However, does anybody have experience with buffer design for applications where very
high lineariy is required (14-15b)? Because this can't be achieved with a simple open-loop
circuit (e.g. source follower).

Regards

« Last Edit: Dec 7th, 2007, 3:28am by Berti »  
View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #5 - Dec 7th, 2007, 12:24am

Hi,

thanks for all the replies. The output swing is not large, but i'm worried about linearity and noise and also gain accuracy. Anyway since it is a low frequency design I decided to design a simple instrumentation amplifier with a resistive divider at the output for the 50 ohm load. Noise performance is good enough for my purposes i guess.

cheers,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #6 - Dec 11th, 2007, 12:58pm

Berti wrote on Dec 6th, 2007, 11:35pm:
Hi loose-electron,
But what's about linearity? Do you think 14-15b linearity
can be achieved with such a structure.

However, does anybody have experience with buffer design for applications where very
high lineariy is required (14-15b)? Because this can't be achieved with a simple open-loop
circuit (e.g. source follower).

Regards

Agreed - a source follower is not going to be able to get it done unless the signal is an extremely small part of the bias current - thus - really inefficient.

The linearity of the OTA structure has 2 parts to be considered -
-- linearity over what bandwidth?
-- how much gain is in the feedback loop?

lots of open loop gain feedback will get you to a good linearity, but only for low frequencies. As the OTA BW starts to play in, the linearity gets worse at high frequencies.

Now, what constitutes "low" and "high" frequency remains open for discussion. Can you get good enough linearity?
Need to put some numbers on it in terms of required linearity over what BW. I have used this tyoe of teshnique up to 100MHz in 0.25 CMOS, with reasonable results.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.