The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 17th, 2024, 3:21pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ring VCO Design (Read 2498 times)
jimwest

Ring VCO Design
Dec 17th, 2007, 10:42pm

Hi Folks,
  I'm a noobie in ring vco desgin.
Is there a way to build a ring vco through the given spec like the opamp design?
If the following parameters are given, how can I determine the w/l of the delay stage?
1.frequency range
2.gain
3.swing
4.Jitter/phase noise performance
5.power consumption

Thank you.

Kindest Regards,

Jim

View Profile   IP Logged
Stefan

Re: Ring VCO Design
Reply #1 - Dec 18th, 2007, 12:44am

The performance of RO's strongly depend on the technology you'll use.

There are a bunch of papers available dealing with the sizing of RO's for optimal phase noise performance (or optimal tunability).
In general :
Start with a minimum-sized circuit, with as few delay stages as possible (3, 4 or 12 would be typical).
You can then do a simple parametric analysis for a comparison of the behaviour for sizing / power consumption / phase noise.
Gain and swing is typically of no issue (gain as high as possible for low phase noise, swing rail to rail - inverter).

Regards,

Stefan

View Profile 16731287   IP Logged
jimwest

Re: Ring VCO Design
Reply #2 - Dec 18th, 2007, 6:06pm

Hi Stefen,
Thank you very much.
But I think your flow can only be used in invertor design, which will also take time to try different w/l and number of stages.
Then how about the Maneatis delay cell or the Lee/Kim's delay cell?
Is there a method for optimizing the w/l of the latch (or diode connection mos) in those kind of cell?

Regards,

Jim

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.