The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 27th, 2024, 11:18pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How to calculate Mismatch of  current Mirrors (Read 3590 times)
xwj623
Community Member

How to calculate Mismatch of  current Mirrors
Dec 27th, 2007, 6:13am

how to calculate or predict the Mismatch of current mirrors in practice design?
we know two formulas in mirrors:  delta(I)/I=delta(W/L)/(W/L)+2*delta(Vth)/(Vgs-Vth)
                                                  delta(Vth)=0.1*tox / [ (WL)^0.5]

I don't know the Mismatch of  delta(W/L)/(W/L)  in practice MOS transistor, I didn't find the answer in kit's  design rule.
What are the rules of thumb on this  term?

As a roughly predict, I calculate the Mismatch like this:
                                                 delta(I)/I=2*delta(Vth)/(Vgs-Vth)
                                                 delta(Vth)=0.1*tox / [ (WL)^0.5]  
                                                 tox=0.35um/50=70A     ( for 0.35um  technology   )
                                                 Vgs-Vth=Vdsat=200mv
  So i get the following roughly formula to predict the Mistach:
                                                 delta(I)/I=14mV/{[ (WL)^0.5]*Vdsat}
                                                              =14mV/{[ (WL)^0.5]*200mV}

Did my couclusion correct or reasonable?
Are there any rules  of thumb about the Mismatch of current mirrors?
Thanks for help.   Smiley

View Profile   IP Logged
ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
Re: How to calculate Mismatch of  current Mirrors
Reply #1 - Dec 28th, 2007, 2:57am

Hi,

I don't know how you derive the formula delta(Vth)=0.1*tox / [ (WL)^0.5]. There is a paper titled matching properties of MOS transistors, by M. J. Pelgrom, in Oct. 1989 issue of JSSC. It guides the mismatch analysis in circuit design. Most foundries provides the measured matching data based on the theory and formulas in that paper.

Yawei

View Profile   IP Logged
xwj623
Community Member

Re: How to calculate Mismatch of  current Mirrors
Reply #2 - Dec 28th, 2007, 8:11am

Hi

I derive the formula " delta(Vth)=0.1*tox/[ (wl)^0.5 ] mV " from  "Design of analog cmos IC" by razavi,2001.  In chapter 13,  page 465,  equation 13.62.   Smiley

It seems that razavi also referenced the paper you adivsed. Smiley

Thanks.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.