The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 18th, 2024, 7:15am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
PLL Layout (Read 4674 times)
nanrma

PLL Layout
Dec 30th, 2007, 10:41pm

SOC has PLL ,transmitter,receiver and some digital blocks. The placement is shown in the attached document.
A PLL (working as a freq synthesizer) gives clock to T1-4(which are blocks of transmitter) and R1-4 (which are blocks of receiver). At the receiver end we are getting a problem –bit errors are coming b/w R1,R2,R3,R4 i.e some delay is happening and coz of tht noise n jitter is happening post fab.What can be the possible solutions for this problem….is adding buffers between the paths a solution? Or can anyone suggest some possible solutions from layout point of view….

View Profile   IP Logged
ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
Re: PLL Layout
Reply #1 - Jan 2nd, 2008, 7:18pm

Hi Nanrma,

I am not clear what the problem is. BTW, what does b/w mean?

Yawei

View Profile   IP Logged
nanrma

Reply #2 - Jan 2nd, 2008, 9:09pm

Hi

b/w means between.
The problem is that we have a PLL on a chip which also has a transmitter and receiver(many sub blocks inside Transmitter n receiver:T1-4,R1-4)
This PLL gives clock to the Tx and Rx. On Silicon, we are facing problem at the receiver end: noise and jitter. We have observed that there is a problem with the clock that is coming from PLL to Rx. The clock has a skew at the receiver end. Different blocks of receiver are getting clock with some skew and hence we are getting bit errors. I am looking for a solution to this problem from both layout and design angle.

View Profile   IP Logged
ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
Reply #3 - Jan 2nd, 2008, 10:58pm

Hi Nanrma,

What is the application? HDMI? It looks there should be two PLLs, one of which is for transmitter and the other of which is for receiver. Now that only one PLL feeds the clock to T1-4 and R1-4, is the clock synchronized with the input data to the receiver?

BTW, would you please describe how the bit error is measured?

Yawei

View Profile   IP Logged
joel
Community Member

Reply #4 - Jan 29th, 2008, 12:50pm

Adding buffers will increase jitter due to power-supply noise injection.  But
you might be able to deal with your skew problem by path matching (e.g
identical buffer #, size, load) on each path.  Lots of SerDes use a single pll,
but put local phase-interpolators on the clock-path or deskewing-buffers on
the data-path.  I hope I'm understanding your question correctly, and not suggesting
the obvious!

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #5 - Feb 1st, 2008, 5:08pm

As a general rule, if youhave an RF receiver on a chip, anything that goes out to the leadframe of the package/chip is going to couple right into the front end of the LNA in the receiver.

Do the math, in some cases you need over 100db of isolation, and thats just not going to happen.

Jerry

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.