The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 17th, 2024, 1:12pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Phase noise by switch transistor in OFF state (Read 2527 times)
Visjnoe

Phase noise by switch transistor in OFF state
Jan 04th, 2008, 9:04am

Dear all,

I'm examining a 1.8GHz CMOS VCO and its phase noise performance. The VCO has discrete frequency tuning by means of a capacitor bank.
The capacitor bank is a classical implementation, meaning binary scaled capacitances which are switched by an NMOS transistor in series.

When I examine the phase noise contributions (phase @100kHz) for a certain capacitor bank setting, I notice that the largest contributions
come from the NMOS switches that are in the OFF state (thermal noise).

This is the first time I see switch transistors (in the OFF state) dominating VCO phase noise performance and I'm doubting the simulator.
For one, I don't think thermal noise is well modeled for transistors in the OFF state.

Has anyone encountered this before?

Regards

Peter

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Re: Phase noise by switch transistor in OFF state
Reply #1 - Jan 4th, 2008, 8:47pm

Yes, you are not the first. Check out the "Oscillator Puzzle" on the Theory page.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Visjnoe

Re: Phase noise by switch transistor in OFF state
Reply #2 - Jan 7th, 2008, 11:30am

Ken,

thank you for mentioning the interesting paper which analyzes this peculiar situation.

Kind Regards

Peter

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.