The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 18th, 2024, 11:18am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
question about tuning range algorithm (Read 1704 times)
James Bond
Community Member

question about tuning range algorithm
Jan 10th, 2008, 1:12pm

Hi, all,

Can anybody recommend some materials about tuning range algorithm in crystal oscillator or programming crystal oscillator? Thank you very much.

james

View Profile   IP Logged
Visjnoe

Re: question about tuning range algorithm
Reply #1 - Jan 17th, 2008, 5:38am

Dear James,

I have never implemented a tuning range algorithm for a crystal oscillator, but I would just like to mention that this might not be feasible
if phase noise is of importance. Typically, you will use a bank of binary scaled capacitors with MOS switches in series. The Q factor of these elements can never match the intrinsic Q of your crystal.

If phase noise is of no importance, I would use a binary scaled capacitor bank in combination with a binary search algorithm. The crystal oscillator clock drives a counter which counts for a fixed amount of time T. Every time T, you compare the count value with a wanted value.

Kind Regards

Peter

« Last Edit: Jan 17th, 2008, 8:35am by Visjnoe »  
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.