The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 18th, 2024, 1:16am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
DCO Quantization Noise White Dithering (Read 3655 times)
neoflash
Community Fellow

Mixed-Signal
Designer

DCO Quantization Noise White Dithering
Jan 12th, 2008, 6:56am

Hi, Folks:

I'm reading some papers on DCO.

One question I got is on white dithering of DCO. Basically due to limited frequency resolution, there is high quantization noise without sigma-delta modulation. White dithering is often used in this case.

1. I'm not sure that white dithering is using finer resolution, i.e. smaller capacitor, for random dithering or not. For example, if dithering word length is 4-bit, can I say that dithering LSB resolution is 1/16 of normal control bits?

2. If it is using smaller capacitor, why not directly use that in normal control bits, to lower the quantization noise?

Thanks,
Neoflash

View Profile   IP Logged
rfmems

Re: DCO Quantization Noise White Dithering
Reply #1 - Feb 19th, 2008, 5:10am

dithering of DCO should always be on the smallest varactor

View Profile   IP Logged
emad

Cairo, Egypt
Reply #2 - Mar 5th, 2008, 9:30pm

The idea is to have an infinitely small capacitance. The trick is to do that through time averaging of a larger cap. Of course this causes quantization noise and the smaller the dithered cap the lower the quantization noise.

Emad

View Profile   IP Logged
neoflash
Community Fellow

Mixed-Signal
Designer

Reply #3 - Mar 6th, 2008, 5:26am

emad wrote on Mar 5th, 2008, 9:30pm:
The idea is to have an infinitely small capacitance. The trick is to do that through time averaging of a larger cap. Of course this causes quantization noise and the smaller the dithered cap the lower the quantization noise.

Emad

Yes, then I think the LSB cap in both dithering and regular control bits should be the same in size.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.