The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 18th, 2024, 1:21am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
low-power receivers (Read 4782 times)
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

low-power receivers
Jan 16th, 2008, 8:16pm

Hi all,

i've been researching low-power receiver design for a few years now, but one thing has always bugged me. Commercial receivers use a lot more current than those reported in literature (academic research) despite comparable performance.

Some things i've noticed are that most of the designs in literature concerning receiver design do not include an ADC (although some do), but commercial designs tend to report the current consumption of the whole receiver including baseband and DSP. Commercial designs also seem to include calibration for just about every component, while those in literature tend to live with what they get in terms of LO amplitude, and sometimes even channel select filter center frequency etc.

So i'm hoping for some advice from experienced designers. Where does all the power go? Is it simply to improve the robustness of the circuits? If this is the case, companies developing these chips (TI, freescale...) follow literature when choosing their designs and simply make them more robust?

thanks,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
Stefan

Re: low-power receivers
Reply #1 - Jan 17th, 2008, 12:18am

Most of what you're saying is true. However, you must calculate the production costs of a transceiver.
A university can live with 5 out of 10 chips that are actually working, however if a yield of a fab drops below around 90 percent...
Uh - just imagine the costs for testing every chip ... testing for RF performance and alike is quite time consuming and expensive ...
That's why industry needs to spend much more effort on robustness and calibrating structure than you might imagine!

View Profile 16731287   IP Logged
Berti
Community Fellow

Reply #2 - Jan 25th, 2008, 8:23am

Hi Aaron,

I think an other point is that published designs often only serve a research and prototyping purpose.
As Stefan said, because of the long development time and high costs for a new transceiver, the industry often
prefers to rely on older designs, which have probably worse performance, but are robust and
well characterized.

Regards

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #3 - Feb 1st, 2008, 10:41am

everyone seems to be sidestepping the concept of academic glossing over....

Often academic papers omit the overhead devices and support structures from their numbers. Better performance/size/power numbers look better in the journal paper. Stretching the truth so to speak.

I am a reviewer for the IEEE JSSC and for the IEEE MTT and I see this stuff all the time.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
vivkr
Community Fellow

Reply #4 - Feb 4th, 2008, 7:22am

There are so many journals and so many papers published every month. It would be unrealistic if not unfair to expect that they are all
equally good. In this I have to agree with Jerry that often, the authors who are trying to present a new idea may tend to focus
too keenly on the brighter aspects of their work while downplaying the role of support blocks, yield etc. To a certain extent, this
is fair. After all, if you are really presenting an idea which is revolutionary and may be of great use in the future, perhaps you can
be forgiven for not getting all the things quite perfect. To what extent is a matter of debate.

I would also disagree with some others who say that the commercial devices consume more power because they tend to favor older,
more trusted schemes. I would say that the most important factor is their need to guarantee reliable operation across various conditions
(not just at room temperature for 5 out of 50 chips) and the need to provide a large number of support blocks. Innovation in industry is
as high as in academia provided you compare good companies to good univs and vice versa.

Perhaps the best way to get around the problem is to look at papers which are really classics, or if you need more current material (it
takes a few years for a paper to get into the classics list at the least), then rely on your experience to weed out the ones which have
got the right stuff from those which don't.

Looking at the JSSC classics list, one is struck not only by the fact that the bestsellers seem to come from a handful of companies/universities
(Philips/U.C.Berkeley/IBM etc.), but also by the impact most of the papers have had. Perhaps, not all good ones have made it, but that
is usually rare. One can also see which ones will come on the list in the next few years (Bult & Geelen's paper on gain boosting for instance).

So I suppose we all need to use our own judgement in the end.

Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #5 - Feb 4th, 2008, 11:03am

Vivek:

Total agreement here - we seem to be on the same page.

You also get academic designs that meet performance specifications under nominal conditions, but not make process and temperature corners. Commercial designs need performance margins on noise-linearity-gain so they dont suffer significant yield losses.

That becomes a balancing act of designing in enough performance margin to make good yields, but not overdesigning the system so that it is either too exensive (size matters!) or too much power consumption (show stopper in handhelds) or something else which makes it not commercially viable.

There is a need to meet the financial and marketing aspects as well as the techinical issues.

Jerry

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.