The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 17th, 2024, 8:26am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
SPECTRE : remote simulations (Read 124 times)
olifant

SPECTRE : remote simulations
Jan 17th, 2008, 6:45am

Since I need to run a number of extensive SPECTRE analyses, I'm using the different servers available at out research group to do these simulations using a remote shell (SSH in Linux).  However, the simulations stop after 10 ks (approx. 2 hours and 46 minutes ).  The error message I get is "CPU time limit exceeded".  In addition, the "ulimit" parameter in Linux is set at "unlimited", which in my opinion indicates that the problem originates from SPECTRE.  Also, and this is quite strange, there seem to be no time limit restrictions when I perform SPECTRE simulations on my computer: these keep on going for hours.  Is this an extra option I have to set in SPECTRE ?  I've not found any document on the internet or any indication in the SPECTRE manuals mentioning this effect.  Does anybody know how I can overcome this limitation ?

Thanks for the help !

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Re: SPECTRE : remote simulations
Reply #1 - Jan 17th, 2008, 4:53pm

Perhaps it is because the ssh shell is dying. Did you run Spectre in the background so that it will continue to run even if the shell that started it is killed?

Often ssh connections will automatically terminate if there is no use for a long period of time, however you can configure ssh to periodically sent keep-alives to prevent this from happening.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
olifant

Re: SPECTRE : remote simulations
Reply #2 - Jan 18th, 2008, 2:27am

Indeed, you are right: it is probably the ssh shell which is terminating after a long period of (apparent) inactivity.

After reading your comment, I launched the SPECTRE script in background (I used the LINUX command "nohup runspectre &" ), and now it works fine.

Thanks for the help !

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.