The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 1st, 2024, 4:30pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
SpectreRF simulate divider phase noise (Read 5670 times)
neoflash
Community Fellow

Mixed-Signal
Designer

SpectreRF simulate divider phase noise
Jan 17th, 2008, 7:06am

Hi:

I've read the doc on this web as "Simulating the Phase Noise Contribution of the Divider in a Phase Lock Loop".

In this paper, it is suggested that using spectreRF get voltage noise at output and post process it through calculation. However, any way to get phase noise directly?

Regards,
Neoflash

View Profile   IP Logged
neoflash
Community Fellow

Mixed-Signal
Designer

Re: SpectreRF simulate divider phase noise
Reply #1 - Jan 18th, 2008, 1:56am

In the simulation results, there are also phase noise available. Is this the result we want?

View Profile   IP Logged
lianggu

Reply #2 - Feb 15th, 2008, 5:02pm

If you set noise type to jitter or timedomain in Pnoise, only voltage noise results will appear, no phase noise available at all.

View Profile   IP Logged
borisk

Reply #3 - Feb 27th, 2008, 9:05am

Hi,

I'm encountering the same problem.  It seems to me that for oscillator phase noise for instance, you set the noise type to sources, and when you run pnoise there will be a phnoise option.  This is I think the total noise, i.e., AM and PM, but luckily in oscillators the PM dominates such that when you look at phnoise it'll correspond to the PM component.  The other thing to keep in mind is that it is in the form of voltage noise, but the PSD's of the voltage noise process and the phase noise process are related.

Anyway, back to the question.  If looking at the divider or even simply inverters and such, we want the jitter and in this case, if you set the noise type to sources and check the phase noise it's much higher than expected.  Here the AM dominates the PM, and again, the phnoise gives them combined in terms of voltage.

You can set the noise type to modulated and you'll be able to see the AM and PM contributions separately.  I think that here we want to look at the PM only which turns out to be generally smaller (at least for some buffers I was looking at).  What I don't know is whether the AM --> PM conversion, say from a noisy input, is captured correctly by this.

Any other comments?  What about setting noise type to timedomain or jitter?

Cheers,

Boris

View Profile   IP Logged
Frank Wiedmann
Community Fellow

Munich, Germany
Reply #4 - Feb 27th, 2008, 11:54pm

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.