The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 16th, 2024, 10:15pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Using Verilog for PLL Closed Loop Sim (Read 3172 times)
tm123
Community Member

Chicago, IL
Using Verilog for PLL Closed Loop Sim
Jan 17th, 2008, 4:20pm

Hello,

I am interested in using Verilog to model some blocks in a PLL in order to do a closed loop PLL simulation.  I am interested in the PLL settling, in particular the effect of cycle slipping.  I would like to use Verilog to model the VCO and frequency divider.  I plan on using the transistor level PFD, CP and loop filter.  My questions are:

-Can a simulation be done in Spectre using the Analog Environment with transistor level schematics and Verilog code?
-Is Verilog AMS the best tool to use, or are Verilog-A/VHDL more appropriate for the VCO/frequency divider respectively?
-Does the Verilog code need to be imported into Cadence?  If so, how is that done?
-Is there existing documentation or papers that explain this type of simulation?

Thanks for your time.

Regards,
Tim

View Profile   IP Logged
Stefan

Re: Using Verilog for PLL Closed Loop Sim
Reply #1 - Jan 18th, 2008, 12:28am

-Can a simulation be done in Spectre using the Analog Environment with transistor level schematics and Verilog code?

Only with VerilogA, which would be uninteresting in terms of simulation speed.

-Is Verilog AMS the best tool to use, or are Verilog-A/VHDL more appropriate for the VCO/frequency divider respectively?

VerilogAMS is very well suited for that type of simulation.

-Does the Verilog code need to be imported into Cadence?  If so, how is that done?

Use the Library Manager to add a verilog view to the corresponding symbols and use the hierarchy editor to switch between the views for simulation.

-Is there existing documentation or papers that explain this type of simulation?

Yes. Check designers-guide or cadence documentation.

Regards,

Stefan

View Profile 16731287   IP Logged
tm123
Community Member

Chicago, IL
Re: Using Verilog for PLL Closed Loop Sim
Reply #2 - Jan 18th, 2008, 8:45am

Hello Stefan,

Thank  you for replying, your answers help a lot.  One follow up question:

-Do I need to select the AMS plug-in in the hierarchy editor in order to simulate with Verilog AMS code?

Thanks again.

Tim

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.