The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 28th, 2024, 4:16am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
AB operation in a class-A amp??? (Read 2299 times)
vivkr
Community Fellow

AB operation in a class-A amp???
Jan 18th, 2008, 8:09am

Hi,

I built a simple class-A amp with 2 stages, and each stage has its own CMFB. I am suprised to see that the output settles to the
maximum accuracy even when I go on reducing the time available for settling. It looks very good of course, but can someone
suggest why this might be happening?

Thanks
Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
HdrChopper
Community Fellow

Re: AB operation in a class-A amp???
Reply #1 - Jan 19th, 2008, 7:09pm

hi Vivek,

Is it the differential or output CM signal the one setting that fast? May be a drawing of your circuit might help better understand the behavior.

Regards
Tosei

Keep it simple
View Profile   IP Logged
vivkr
Community Fellow

Re: AB operation in a class-A amp???
Reply #2 - Jan 20th, 2008, 11:16pm

Hi Tosei,

It seems to only be the differential output. Unfortunately, I cannot post a drawing on my circuit because
I would get into trouble if I did that. However, I can describe the architecture.

2-stages, first stage with NMOS input, NMOS cascode. Compensation cap returns to cascode node.
Switched-cap CMFB for both stages separately so that compensation is simpler. This scheme has been
around in many different forms, and although I have added a CMFB in each stage, I believe that people have
also done this.

I will see if I can find out something from my side.

Regards
Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.