The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 18th, 2024, 9:18am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
quesiton about a JSSCC paper (Dr. Maneatis' ) (Read 2755 times)
keikei

beijing
quesiton about a JSSCC paper (Dr. Maneatis' )
Jan 20th, 2008, 8:24pm

I had a question about Dr. Maneatis' paper "Low-Jitter Process-Independent DLL and PLL Based on Self-Biased Techniques" published in JSSCC 1996.
According to Fig.2, the bias voltages VBP and VBN are generated from the control voltage VCTRL. As VCTRL increases, VBP increases and VBN drops.
I think the VCO oscillating frequency should lower when VCTRL increases, Since VBN is used to bias the tail current sources in the buffer stages.
However Fig. 10 shows that the VCO runs faster when VCTRL increases.

Can anyone tell me what the problem is?

View Profile   IP Logged
jeffyan
Community Member

Re: quesiton about a JSSCC paper (Dr. Maneatis' )
Reply #1 - Jan 21st, 2008, 3:13am

keikei wrote on Jan 20th, 2008, 8:24pm:
I had a question about Dr. Maneatis' paper "Low-Jitter Process-Independent DLL and PLL Based on Self-Biased Techniques" published in JSSCC 1996.
According to Fig.2, the bias voltages VBP and VBN are generated from the control voltage VCTRL. As VCTRL increases, VBP increases and VBN drops.
I think the VCO oscillating frequency should lower when VCTRL increases, Since VBN is used to bias the tail current sources in the buffer stages.
However Fig. 10 shows that the VCO runs faster when VCTRL increases.

Can anyone tell me what the problem is?

hi
actually, VCTRL is refer to vdd, so VCTRL= vdd- VCTRL'

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Re: quesiton about a JSSCC paper (Dr. Maneatis' )
Reply #2 - Jan 22nd, 2008, 3:10pm

I know that one pretty well - All good architecture except for the charge pump(in my opinion) and it needs a voltage regulator over the VCO for better jitter performance.

As for the positive vs negative voltage coefficient on the VCO controller, whats the big deal? You can do either, as long as you get the polarity reversal elsewhere in the control system.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.