The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 28th, 2024, 12:19am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
PNoise analysis of PFD+Charge pump (Read 3579 times)
nandy

Timbuktu
PNoise analysis of PFD+Charge pump
Jan 24th, 2008, 4:31am

Hello people

I need to find the phase noise contributed by a phase/frequency detector + charge pump combination which are part of a frequency synthesizer. When the synthesizer is locked, both the inputs to the PFD are of the same frequency and hence the beat frequency is zero (albeit there will be reference feedthrough). But I cannot do a PSS/Pnoise analysis with a 0 beat frequency. How do I proceed?

I tried measuring phase noise while having a finite frequency difference too, but the simulation never seems to converge however much I change the tstab value or if I make it conservative or liberal. BTW I use cadence spectre's analog environment for the simulations.

Thanks in advance

View Profile   IP Logged
Frank Wiedmann
Community Fellow

Munich, Germany
Re: PNoise analysis of PFD+Charge pump
Reply #1 - Jan 24th, 2008, 5:57am

"Beat frequency" is a bit of a misnomer, "fundamental frequency" would probably have been a better choice. Simulate your circuit in the locked state and enter the lowest frequency in your circuit as "beat frequency" (or the longest period as "beat period").

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
nandy

Timbuktu
Reply #2 - Jan 24th, 2008, 7:40am

But Frank, since charge pump is shaped by the low pass filter in the loop, wont I be interested in noise near DC rather than at the reference frequency (since reference frequency is many times higher than loop bandwidth, and any noise at these frequencies will be suppressed anyway)?

View Profile   IP Logged
Frank Wiedmann
Community Fellow

Munich, Germany
Reply #3 - Jan 24th, 2008, 11:12pm

You can do an absolute frequency sweep in the pnoise analysis and examine the noise at any frequency you like.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
nandy

Timbuktu
Reply #4 - Jan 24th, 2008, 11:37pm

OK. I'll try that. Thank you Frank.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.