The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 18th, 2024, 3:20pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The 80umx80um PAD size for COB package (Read 4081 times)
dandelion
Community Member

The 80umx80um PAD size for COB package
Jan 29th, 2008, 2:21am

hi,
My project used 0.5um CMOS process and the design rule gives 90umx90um PAD size recommendations. For area considerations, my pad is decreased to 80Umx80um and the chip will be COB(Chip on board) packaged.

Would any one pls. give me advcie if it have any risks?

Thanks

View Profile   IP Logged
Berti
Community Fellow

Re: The 80umx80um PAD size for COB package
Reply #1 - Jan 29th, 2008, 10:33pm

I think the pad size is usually limited by packaging (bonder, probe etc.) and not by the technology.

Regards

View Profile   IP Logged
ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
Reply #2 - Jan 31st, 2008, 9:21pm

Hi Dandelion,

80um X 80um is enough for my package house.  However, it is a good practice to confirm with your package house before tape out.

Good luck
Yawei

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #3 - Feb 4th, 2008, 12:58pm

Check with whoever is doing bond wires to the pads what their minimum pad size is acceptable. Generally (but not always) thats the packaging house.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Paul
Community Fellow

Switzerland
Reply #4 - Feb 26th, 2008, 12:53pm

Hi,

When talking to your packaging subcontractor, also check for pitch. During PhD, I noticed the constraints of some suppliers were not that much about pad area (80x80um2 sounds comfortable), but more about pad pitch.

Paul

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
Reply #5 - Mar 5th, 2008, 5:50pm

Hi Guys,

It was a total failure that my chip was COB packaged for the first time. The package house ensured that they can do COB even if the pad pitch is as small as 35um. So we used stagger I/O to put more pads on the chip. Then we found most chips were short or open after they are COB packaged.

It is a little lucky that the COB package successed for the second time.  I chose inline I/O, and make the pad pitch is about 120um. 3 chips are COB packaged in another package house. One was short between power and ground. I didn't check it. The other two works fine. Smiley

I found the requirements are so different for each package house. And they use different material, like the glue covering the chip. Sometimes they don't cover the chip.  Would you please introduce any literature, application notes, books on COB technique? Especially the material's effect on the electrical performance, the relative PCB layout, etc.

Best regards,
Yawei

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.