The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 17th, 2024, 9:38pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
about Q of input transconductor stage of mixer (Read 5766 times)
manfred

about Q of input transconductor stage of mixer
Jan 29th, 2008, 8:53am

hi,every one!

when I design a low noise mixer, the input stage is just like that of LNA, which using typical inductor degeneration at source of input MOSFET, and input match network including Lg and cap. is off-chip. my question is as follow:

1.How to design the Q value of input match network?

in some book, I find this Q should be 2~12, but in other book or paper, Q is set to 2~5 in order to avoid the effect of process variation on Q.
but in my design, the input match network(L match composed of Lg and CAP.) is off-chip, is it not affected by the process variation?
and what Q value is proper?

2. if the Q value of input match network is large, the conversion gain of mixer is mostly composed of input match network, is it still right and precision after fabricated?

any reply is appreciated!

thanks a lot

View Profile   IP Logged
ACWWong
Community Fellow

Oxford, UK
Re: about Q of input transconductor stage of mixer
Reply #1 - Jan 30th, 2008, 3:34am

hi manfred,

my comments are:

1. Choosing Q is dependant on your design criteria (bandwidth, gain over band, return loss, etc..). So if your band is very narrow, you can afford to have a higher Q so long as you tolerance for component variation. Offchip components do have variation, which tends to be less with cost! You can readily get 1% off-chip components if you bill-of-material cost is not important... cheaper parts might be 5%. Also your mixer input impedance will vary with process, temperture (and maybe voltage). For an L match the Q is determined by the source & load (mixer Zin) impedances, so to change Q you'll need to modifiy your mixer input for a given source (50R ?)

2. agreed, substantial voltage gain can be achieved in the input match. This might not be a good idea unless you confirm it is toleranced to account for component/device variations. Also linearity may be harder to acheive because of larger voltage swings on the mixer inputs if Q is very high.

cheers
aw

View Profile   IP Logged
manfred

Reply #2 - Jan 30th, 2008, 8:30am

thanks ACWWong for your reply!

I still have some question as follows:

1. yes, the input stage of my mixer is L-match, and it should be matched to 50ohm.  but the Q of input matching circuit is in inverse proportion to the
   Cgs of input MOSFET, so if I want to lower Q, I must make the width of input MOSFET larger to increase Cgs.  
   currently, the width of my input MOSFET is 200um and Q is about 7.  but I don't know if this Q value is proper?
2.about conversion gain.
  my simulation result of PXF is about 20dB, that is the input signal is amplified  by 10 times.  
 but Q of input match is already about 7, it indicate that the core circuit of my mixer only provide 1.5 times amplification
 is it right and reasonable? or can it be regarded as a successful design?

View Profile   IP Logged
didac

There's a million
ways to see the
things in life

manresa,spain
Reply #3 - Jan 30th, 2008, 9:05am

Hi,
As ACWWong say Q depends on your design criteria, so it's better to choose a Q as Q=f0/BW and take into account the component variations, the L-match doesn't give you enough degrees of freedom to design, maybe it's useful to study a pi or T matching network, because having to redesign the transconductance stage to fullfill matching criteria it's not very optimum. For the intrinsic gain of your mixer it depends really on your specs(are you worried about power consumption?,which specs do you have in NF ,linearity,gain?), I find it is a low gain for an active mixer but all goes to your specs and power budget so judge if it is a successful design or not it's up to you, the only thing I can say is that if you are designing as a low noise Mixer to eliminate the LNA take into account Friis, the noise it's determined by the first stage noise sure but it  needs Gain to reduce subsequent stages contribution.
Hope it helps,

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
manfred

Reply #4 - Jan 31st, 2008, 3:47am

thanks didac very much!

it's my first time to design RF circuit, I have little experience.
you are right, my intention  of designing this low noise mixer is  to omit the use of LNA on-chip.

currently, the simulation result of my design is :
NF=5.8dB   (I  want NF is below 4dB, but currently, it's difficult)
IIP3=-21dBm  (not critical in my design)
gain=23dB@(Vdd=3.3v)
current is about 4mA(vdd=3.3v)

at the same time, the Q of input match is about 7, so I don't know if this design can be regarded as successful!
please help me to judge it!

thanks a lot!

View Profile   IP Logged
didac

There's a million
ways to see the
things in life

manresa,spain
Reply #5 - Feb 2nd, 2008, 12:11pm

Hi manfred,
Sorry for the delay in the answer, I had data of a merged LNA/Mixer in 0.35um CMOS for 2.45GHz ISM band designed by a friend for her masters thesis. She focused in low power consumption, and all the components were on-chip except the balun(differential input):
1.Gain(dBV)=14.95
2.NF_SSB(dB)=16.7
3.IIP3(dBm)=-6.95
4.S11<=-29.9 dB in the whole band
4.Power consumption=0.43mA@3.3 V
If you are focusing in NF then you have achieved a good NF(its SSB or DSB?), I can only recommend you to check the s11 across the band(you didn't mention your operation frequency and your Bandwidth,Q=f0/BW), as a rule of thumb s11 should be less than -10dB in your whole band(check this rule of thumb with other people,this is just one that I use other people maybe disagree with it).
Hope it helps,

manfred

Reply #6 - Feb 4th, 2008, 1:39am

thank you ,didac!

the s11 of my mixer is <-20dBm
NF is SSB which is 5.8dB.
and the bandwidth is 2MHz and f0 is 1.575G
which is used for GPS

the merged LNA/MIXER in your friend's design, the SSB NF >16dB, I wonder if  he/she need to use other LNA on-chip or off-chip?
because if this 16dB of circuit is the first stage of whole system, I think whole NF is serious, how do you think about it?
or can you send me the datasheet of this merged LNA/MIXER?
my email:wwbmi@126.com

thanks a lot

View Profile   IP Logged
didac

There's a million
ways to see the
things in life

manresa,spain
Reply #7 - Feb 4th, 2008, 12:39pm

Hi manfred,
For me  your numbers look good, but if it's part of a whole GPS receiver better check with system level. About the merged LNA/MIXER of my friend probably call it LNA in the name was a little bit generous, but her objective was completely different than yours she was working in sensor networks that need low-power consumption and NF was not critical(rather it was a system limited by interferences), the weakest number of her block was the gain. I could sent you a copy of her thesis(it analyzes several combos of LNA,LNA+Mixer and 3 different Mixers all analytically and with simulation, in fact she ended with near 20 different possible front-ends) but I think it will be rather useless if you don't understand Spanish(all thesis must be submitted in Spanish and/or Catalan-a regional language-), sent me a PM if you are interested.
Hope it helps,

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.