The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 15th, 2024, 8:50am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Impedance Matching over Rage of Frequencies (Read 2739 times)
Pez

Impedance Matching over Rage of Frequencies
Feb 19th, 2008, 11:29am

Hi,
I'm trying to match the input of a LPF to 50ohms over a 75MHz range of frequencies. Using a network analyzer I've plotted the S11 parameter over this frequency range, in order to determine the proper matching network. The problem I'm encountering is that the  impedance varies widely over my frequency range, making it seemingly impossible to closely match my circuit to 50 ohms at all of my frequencies of interest (see attached plot).
So the question: how do I make it so that my input impedance doesn't vary so much over my frequency range, so i can match it to 50 ohms?
Any help will be much appreciated  :)

forum_001.JPG
View Profile   IP Logged
vivkr
Community Fellow

Re: Impedance Matching over Rage of Frequencies
Reply #1 - Feb 19th, 2008, 11:05pm

You seem to be trying to match the impedance from DC to 75 MHz since you mention a LPF. If this is the case, then I think
there is no choice but to use a 50 Ohm resistive termination.

Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
Pez

Re: Impedance Matching over Rage of Frequencies
Reply #2 - Feb 20th, 2008, 8:59am

Thanks for the reply Vivek,
It's actually in the 900MHz band, so resistors aren't really an option. I've tried using narrower traces to move the points along the resistive lines, but that only works to a certain degree. Undecided

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.