The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 17th, 2024, 11:11am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Impact of PLL frequency divide ratio (Read 3697 times)
sandman
Community Member

Impact of PLL frequency divide ratio
Feb 25th, 2008, 5:06am

Hi,

I'm a newbie in PLL design and was wondering if someone could help me with the following queries.

From the divider of the integer divide by N in the feedback loop of the PLL;

1) How does the frequency divide ratio affect phase noise and settling time ?
2) Does the divide ratio affect the bandwidth or any other parameters in the PLL ?
3) Would there be equations where I could confirm these relation ?

If anyone's aware of resources where I could find this information, that would also be much appreciated.

Any help would be appreciated ! Thanks in advance.

Cheers.

View Profile   IP Logged
tm123
Community Member

Chicago, IL
Re: Impact of PLL frequency divide ratio
Reply #1 - Feb 26th, 2008, 9:32am

Hello Sandman,

-You can think of the divide ratio as the closed loop gain from the input reference phase (input to phase/frequency detector) to the output phase (VCO output in most cases).  This effects the PLL in-band phase noise, to which the contributors are the PFD/CP, N divider, reference divider, basically everything except the VCO and loop filter resistor.  Therefore, a lower N value will give lower in-band phase noise.  The tradeoff of higher/lower reference frequency should also be evaluated when chosing the desired N value.
-The PLL loop filter components should be calculated for a given N value, along with Kd, Kvco, desired phase margin, and desired bandwidth. A larger N value will yield lower capacitor values and higher resistor values with all else being the same, which would increase the phase noise contribution from the resistor itself.
-Equations can be found in many basic PLL papers.  A good basic PLL document is PLL Performance, Simulation, and Design by Dean Banerjee, which I think can be downloaded for free from the National Semiconductor website.

Hope this helps.

Tim

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #2 - Feb 26th, 2008, 5:43pm

The textbooks by Gardner, Best and Wolaver all cover this stuff pretty well. It is control systems theory at the first order.

Performance in jitter, and loop damping (smaller zeta) degrade with a higher divide ratio.

Get the equations out of a PLL book, and plug it into a Excel spread sheet, or a simulator, and you can see how they interact.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
sandman
Community Member

Reply #3 - Feb 27th, 2008, 4:00am

Hello Tim and loose-electron,

Thanks for your inputs. I really appreciate it.

Cheers.

View Profile   IP Logged
khouly

Reply #4 - Mar 24th, 2008, 6:57am

the divide ratio N , will increase the phase noise coming from the reference oscillator by 20log(N)

khouly

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.