The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 17th, 2024, 7:46am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
MOS cap in accumulation region in N-well process (Read 4307 times)
vivkr
Community Fellow

MOS cap in accumulation region in N-well process
Feb 27th, 2008, 3:02am

Hi,

I am using a PMOS as a cap in accumulation region. The substrate is insulating and the cap is in an NWELL.
Normally, capacitance in accumulation region is Cox, and I imagine that high frequencies ought not to be a problem
BUT is this correct? Does the capacitance stay at Cox for higher frequencies as well. I have a long and wide channel.

Is there something I need to look out for? Linearity is not critical for my application, the caps are only used in a voltage
doubler. I have some well parasitics modelled in my setup, but would appreciate some inputs about potential risks
of MOS cap operation in accumulation vs. inversion.

Thanks
Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
Berti
Community Fellow

Re: MOS cap in accumulation region in N-well proce
Reply #1 - Feb 28th, 2008, 4:05am

Hi Vivek,

I think the disadvantage of accumulation-mode MOS-capacitors is the high ESR, which is usually
not modelled in the transistor model. This might be a problem for high frequencies.

Regards

View Profile   IP Logged
imd1

Re: MOS cap in accumulation region in N-well proce
Reply #2 - Feb 28th, 2008, 4:25am

I think that the PMOS in an n-well is exactly the structure used to implement high-quality varactors in RF VCOs...
The capacitance goes from Cox (at accumulation) to Cox in series with Cchannel (in inversion), about 2X to 3X change, I think.
The only difference between this MOSCAP and the PMOS is the fact that the p+ implants (S/D) are not done, there are n+ implants instead, whcih are used to contact the bulk as close as possible to minimize the loss (resistive drop).

The Spice model used for these are the same as for the PMOS (BSIM3vx), but having different parameters.

If you do a careful layout (minimize gate resistance and bulk resistance) a PMOS should work OK as decoupling cap, I think.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.