The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 18th, 2024, 5:16am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Frac-N PLL paper: error in paper by Mentor? (Read 2046 times)
Visjnoe

Frac-N PLL paper: error in paper by Mentor?
Feb 29th, 2008, 10:57am

Dear all,

I would like to have a second opinion on a Mentor Graphics paper on simulating fractional-N PLL synthesizers.
In the paper "Efficient Simulation Techniques for Modulated Delta-Sigma Fractional-N Synthesizers" by Cyril Descleves (Mentor Graphics Corp), which can be download from their website, the simulation of a fractional-N PLL
is discussed.

In this paper, the FFT of the VCO tune voltage is shown, taken from a closed loop PLL simulation. Note that the FFT is plotted versus a linear frequency scale (Fs=Fref=26MHz). What can be seen nicely on this picture is the noise shaping from the delta sigma modulator. No problem so far.

I have than tried to recreate this simulation output (same reference frequency, same loop filter components etc.), but I observe a different FFT output. Namely, beyond the loop filter bandwidth, the VCO tune voltage is decreasing with 20dB/decade. This could/would be the loop filter kicking in, filtering off the sigma delta quantization noise. So, basically, I do not obtain the large 'horizontal' part in the graph.

Since I run these simulations using a FastSPICE simulator, I'm not 100% certain this is not a simulation accuracy issue.

If it is not, it would mean that the graphs in the Mentor Graphics paper are incorrect.

Any comments more than welcome.

Kind Regards

Peter

ps: please note that I'm not using Mentor tools to recreate this graph

Mentor_Paper_FFT.jpg
View Profile   IP Logged
Visjnoe

Re: Frac-N PLL paper: error in paper by Mentor?
Reply #1 - Mar 1st, 2008, 12:50am

Dear all,

I have found the answer to the puzzle. The delta-sigma in the Mentor paper is of 4th order, while the loop filter is of 3th order. Therefore, the quantization noise beyond the loop bandwidth is passed through with a constant gain of 0dB, resulting in the 'horizontal' spectrum.

Kind Regards

Peter

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.