The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 17th, 2024, 11:16am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Up conversion mixer ... (Read 2921 times)
sanredrose

Atlanta
Up conversion mixer ...
Mar 05th, 2008, 2:18pm

I am designing a Gilbert Cell upconversion mixer whose specifications are as follows :

f(LO) = 4.5 GHz
f(IF) = 3.5 GHz

I am interested in pulling out the sum output of 8 GHz. While performing measurements we observed anomaly in the spectrum at 4.5 Ghz. This was due the fact that there was a 5 degree in mismatch in the Oscillator source.

Any ideas on reducing the LO leakage ???

Saravanan T K

View Profile sanredrose codename_47x   IP Logged
ACWWong
Community Fellow

Oxford, UK
Re: Up conversion mixer ...
Reply #1 - Mar 13th, 2008, 3:59am

LO feedthru can be due to dc offset in your mixer. check your layout for systematic offsets and run some monte-carlo simulations. Another major source will be crosstalk, be it in the silicon or in the package. Good layout planning (i.e having tx output bodnwires perpendicular to the lo carrying (the LO itself or LO supply) bondwires should help

If you have access to dc bias points, triming dc offset can reduce the leakage to crosstalk induced leakage.

Also when you say 5 degree mismatch, what do you mean ? duty cycle ? this can be improved by improving oscillator design and layout. it usually higher level harmonics or crosstalk non-symmetry which impacts fundamental duty cycle.

cheers
aw

View Profile   IP Logged
Saravanan T K

Atlanta, GA
Reply #2 - Mar 17th, 2008, 7:39am

I am trying to simulate this using Cadence - Spectre RF. I set the offset in the psin applied to the Local Oscillator inputs. At the output i observed the spectrum by selecting a voltage net and performing dft and db20 conversion.

Do you need any more details about offset let me know .. I will catch a snapshot and put that on the forum ...

The race for perfection has no finish line !!!
View Profile Saravanan T K codename_47x   IP Logged
khouly

Reply #3 - Mar 24th, 2008, 7:06am

u can reject this LO feedthrough by high pass filter at the output of the Mixer ,  other way  u can use subharmonic mixer , so the LO will be half the 4.5 Ghz  and u use the 2nd harmonic

khouly

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.