The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 18th, 2024, 7:22am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Automatically calculating AD, AS, PD, PS, etc (Read 3607 times)
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Automatically calculating AD, AS, PD, PS, etc
Mar 10th, 2008, 8:35pm

I know this can be done easily, but I can't seem to get to first base.

When I place a mosfet using the cadence schematic capture tool, and give it a certain width, I would like the AD, AS, parameters automatically filled out (even if I have to use simplified formulas).  I know there must be a file somewhere where you define these based on the width.  Can someone direct me to this file or give me a hint one what I should be searching for in the help?

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Re: Automatically calculating AD, AS, PD, PS, etc
Reply #1 - Mar 11th, 2008, 8:35am

To compute the value, you need to know the diffusion dimension perpendicular to the width (note: it's not the gate length).

Are you asking how to get that value?  Or are you asking how you set up the Cadence CDF (component ... form) with a callback so it fills in the values automatically?  (Change the width, callback changes AD and AS.)  Or are you wanting to change your netlister to print out a default AD=value if there's no value specified in the form?

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #2 - Mar 11th, 2008, 9:15am

I know the formulas and diffusion dimensions; I just need to set up the CDF that will fill the values automatically, e.g. AD=w*0.4u.  Right now I'm filling out the form by hand.  Your help would be enormously appreciated!

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #3 - Mar 11th, 2008, 10:19am

You'll have to search the directory tree for your PDK -- though perhaps CDS.log will give you some hints.  You're looking for files ending in .cdf, they're written in skill.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #4 - Mar 11th, 2008, 3:44pm

Thanks for the hints - they help a lot.  

Another person pointed out that it can be done with iPar("w") in the CDF.  This is much easier.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.