The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 17th, 2024, 11:18pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
convergence problem in sim (Read 2315 times)
xuedashun

convergence problem in sim
Mar 27th, 2008, 7:40am

I designed a regulator which has several loops insides and am trying to check the stability for some loops by using dc&ac sim.

I use a loop breaker (large L&C, 1V ac source inside) to cut one loop and keep other loops unchanged. and use nodeset to give
desired voltage values at some important nodes. The ac sim works well at typical case (say 26 degree C, tpy MOS RES CAP...).
But it stops at some corners. I check the sim log and found that even the dc can not work well at the corners because of convergence
problem, ac also did not run because of convergence problem.

Then I tried run a tran sim where the stable operational point is reached and got good result. I check the output date file and
the voltage values look right and run ac again by setting prevoppoint YES in ac option and using same loop breaker. but ac sim
still does not work.

Is anyone can help me and give me some suggestions on this sim problem? Thank you very much!

View Profile   IP Logged
mohta

Re: convergence problem in sim
Reply #1 - Apr 16th, 2008, 11:51am

Try to use STB/PSTB analysis - makes life simpler. Look at the Spectre documentation or search this forum. This topic has been discussed many times before. If you can identify one path that breaks as many loops as possible, then breaking the loop over there will give you necessary and sufficient conditions for stability of at least the broken loops.

View Profile   IP Logged
HdrChopper
Community Fellow

Re: convergence problem in sim
Reply #2 - Apr 16th, 2008, 6:52pm

One of the last discussions concerning multiloop circuits is here
http://www.designers-guide.org/Forum/YaBB.pl?num=1198131494

Hope it helps
Tosei

Keep it simple
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.