The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 18th, 2024, 12:17am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
cheap programmable divider (Read 2309 times)
vivkr
Community Fellow

cheap programmable divider
Mar 28th, 2008, 8:15am

Hi,

I was wondering if there was a good way to make a cheap programmable resistive divider, say 6-8 bit?

Thanks
Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
HdrChopper
Community Fellow

Re: cheap programmable divider
Reply #1 - Mar 30th, 2008, 3:01pm

Hi Vivek,

I think the trade off between achieving such resolution and making a cheap resistor divider is (and I'm sure you know it)  the R-2R ladder structure.  You would need 2^N taps (N= number of bits) and your divider would only have unit cells of size R. Making a straightforward resistor divider by using equally sized resistor for each tap would require much more parallel/series combination for such resolution than the ones you need for the R-2R structure.

Hope this helps
Tosei.

Keep it simple
View Profile   IP Logged
vivkr
Community Fellow

Re: cheap programmable divider
Reply #2 - Mar 31st, 2008, 11:08pm

Hi Tosei,

Thanks for your reply. Indeed, the basic tradeoff is clear. I need to see if I can use an R-2R ladder. I
think this will be a problem for me because I need to keep the overall ladder resistance more or less
constant (not too much variation).  Perhaps I can try some variation on this one.

Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.