The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 17th, 2024, 11:21pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Question about Vos drift vs temperture (Read 3958 times)
James Bond
Community Member

Question about Vos drift vs temperture
Mar 30th, 2008, 1:40am

Hi, all

Does anyone know how to simulate dc offset voltage drift  vs temperture for an fully differential operational amplifier? or for an fully differential system, such as base band filter. Thank you very much.

Best Regards
james

View Profile   IP Logged
Visjnoe

Re: Question about Vos drift vs temperture
Reply #1 - Mar 30th, 2008, 2:18am

Dear James,

1.. You could run Monte-Carlo for different temperature settings. As in all Monte-Carlo simulations, you
   will depend on the accuracy of the models provided by the foundry...

2. You could model the offset as an input-referred voltage source. You could then make this input-referred voltage
   source temperature-dependent (equation).

Kind Regards

Peter

View Profile   IP Logged
James Bond
Community Member

Reply #2 - Mar 30th, 2008, 2:59am

Dear Visjnoe,

Thank you for you reply.

As for the 1 solution, if I want plot Vos versus temperature, I have to sweep temperature in the dc simulation, and run montecarlo simulation based on this dc setting, is that correct?

I don't quite understand solution2, I want to simulate my circuit and find out how the temperature will affect  Vos(I have seen somewhere a monotonic reducing curve) , if I can model them, I already know the answer. Could you explain it a bit further?

Best Regards
james

View Profile   IP Logged
HdrChopper
Community Fellow

Reply #3 - Mar 30th, 2008, 5:30am

Hi James,

Actually it does not make much sense to simulate offset over temp except for the monte carlo approach. The reason is that the weights of the offset contributors in your amp will randomly change, hence will randomly change your temperature coefficient too.
In other words, the offset temperature drift for your circuit is in itself a random variable.

Hope this helps.
Tosei

Keep it simple
View Profile   IP Logged
James Bond
Community Member

Reply #4 - Mar 30th, 2008, 9:03am

Hi, thechopper,

I think you are right, I just managed to simulate the offset voltage versus temperature under monte carlo runs, it sometimes increases with temperature increasing, sometimes reduces. But I think the benefits of doing this is to find maximum offset voltage drift of my circuit and then at the circuit output, I will be able to know the maximum offset range, then I will know if this will affect the following circuit performance. What do you think ?

Best Regards
james

View Profile   IP Logged
HdrChopper
Community Fellow

Reply #5 - Mar 30th, 2008, 2:56pm

Hi James,

I think that is the way to go and I would do the same thing in order to estimate the offset range you need to accommodate. I do not know of any other method that might give you offset drifts over temp close to actual ones (assuming appropriate models for mismatch).

Tosei

Keep it simple
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.