The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 16th, 2024, 6:26pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Reverse diode voltage (Read 3999 times)
Godfrey

Reverse diode voltage
Apr 21st, 2008, 1:39pm

Is there a parameter for modelling the junction to substrate diode?

So if I take the drain of an nmos transistor below Vss, at some voltage the reverse diode of N diff to substrate should conduct. Same for a PMOS, if I take the drain above Vcc, at some voltage the P diff to N well diode must conduct.

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Re: Reverse diode voltage
Reply #1 - Apr 22nd, 2008, 8:05am

Godfrey wrote on Apr 21st, 2008, 1:39pm:
Is there a parameter for modelling the junction to substrate diode?

Generally, yes.

Are you using a BSIM3/4 or PSP model?  Do you have a 4-terminal model?  I've seen some 3-terminal discrete component models that don't have a substrate terminal.  I've also seen some MOS models that don't include the diodes, because they expect you to put them in a subckt that contains the diode.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Godfrey

Reply #2 - Apr 24th, 2008, 2:02pm

Its BSIM 3.3 with four terminal devices.

The only parameter I can see which looks about the right value is Dvt1 which also sounds like it might be diode Vt?

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #3 - Apr 25th, 2008, 5:27am

No, Dvt1 is an offset to the threshold voltage of the mos.

For BSIM3/4, you need to have JS and/or JSW specified non-zero for the model card, and these are then multiplied by AD/AS or PD/PS to get the total diode saturation current (JS*AD + JSW*PD).  PB is the parameter for the built-in potential.  CJ, CJSW, CJSWG are the capacitance parameters (something like CJ*AD, CJSW*(PD-W), CJSWG*W).

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.