The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 23rd, 2024, 5:21am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
About the phase noise of the buffer... (Read 6070 times)
Ryan Cheung

About the phase noise of the buffer...
Apr 22nd, 2008, 5:07am

Smiley
The input of the buffer is a ideal clock with ideal power supply, and its rist/fall time is constant. If we change its input frequency to half of the original one, a 6dB improvement is achieved as I have expected. However, if the power supply is given from a noisy regulator, the phase noise is degrade about 20dB. This time, if we change its input frequency to half, the 6dB improvement is unreachable. There is only 2dB or even no improvement. I fail to figure out why it is like this.

The simulator used here is pss+pnoise.

Thank you!

View Profile   IP Logged
rfmems

Re: About the phase noise of the buffer...
Reply #1 - Apr 23rd, 2008, 12:28am

try to seperate the AM noise and PN noise, I think AM noise won't  improve 6dB if you halve your intput frequency

View Profile   IP Logged
Ryan Cheung

Reply #2 - Apr 24th, 2008, 6:01am

rfmems wrote on Apr 23rd, 2008, 12:28am:
try to seperate the AM noise and PN noise, I think AM noise won't  improve 6dB if you halve your intput frequency

Thanks for your reply
but the noise curve is phase noise. I don't think AM noise is included?

View Profile   IP Logged
rfmems

Reply #3 - Apr 24th, 2008, 7:34am

the pnoise simulation gives a combined result of phase noise and amplitude noise. Back to your question, I think when the supply is noisy, AM noise can be dominant. That is probably why 6dB improvement is not seen

View Profile   IP Logged
pancho_hideboo
Senior Fellow

Real Homeless
Reply #4 - Apr 24th, 2008, 7:35am

Ryan Cheung wrote on Apr 24th, 2008, 6:01am:

Thanks for your reply

Result of PSS/Pnoise is no more than small signal mixing noise. So AM noise appears in Pnoise results.

View Profile WWW Top+Secret Top+Secret   IP Logged
Ryan Cheung

Reply #5 - Apr 25th, 2008, 10:52pm

pancho_hideboo wrote on Apr 24th, 2008, 7:35am:
Ryan Cheung wrote on Apr 24th, 2008, 6:01am:

Thanks for your reply

Result of PSS/Pnoise is no more than small signal mixing noise. So AM noise appears in Pnoise results.

Thanks again for all of your replies! Wink

Does the AM noise that you mentioned here is the AM-PM noise part? There is no pure AM noise because of the amplitude limiting mechanism. Did you mean that the part of phase noise originating from AM noise will not achieve a 6dB improvement? Why is it?

What I think is the noise could only disturb the circuit at rise/fall time, and this lead to a fixed amount of jitter. If the rise/fall time is fixed, the jitter is fixed. So if the period is double, its phase noise should achieve a 6dB improvement. Am I right?

Thanks!

View Profile   IP Logged
rfmems

Reply #6 - Apr 26th, 2008, 2:11am

I think when your power supplye is noisy, assumption of hard limit is not valid.
Claims like there is only phase noise is no better than an approximation

View Profile   IP Logged
Ryan Cheung

Reply #7 - Apr 29th, 2008, 4:12am

rfmems wrote on Apr 26th, 2008, 2:11am:
I think when your power supplye is noisy, assumption of hard limit is not valid.
Claims like there is only phase noise is no better than an approximation

I have got your idea! Smiley
But if I want to achieve the phase noise, how should I configure the spectreRF simulator?

There is a 'noise type' option in pnoise analysis, which default to 'sources'. If I set 'noise type=modulated', the simulator could give a PM noise and an AM noise. Does this PM noise is the phase noise?

If I set 'noise type=jitter', the simulator give a 'tdnoise'. What the relationship between the 'tdnoise' and the phase noise?

Any anwser is appreciated!

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.