The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 17th, 2024, 8:19pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
career question (Read 3392 times)
kidman
Community Member

career question
May 10th, 2008, 12:14am

I've been wondering what do employers look for in fresh graduates for analog design positions? THANKS

View Profile   IP Logged
Stefan

Re: career question
Reply #1 - May 10th, 2008, 12:18am

A clean shirt and shoes without dirt ?

To be honest, that's such a general question that it can't be answered. Check out your local newspaper or the companies websites for job offers.
That'll do the job ...

View Profile 16731287   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #2 - May 14th, 2008, 3:45pm

An interest and motivation for the topic. Beyond good grades and a a good education? Show something in your resume that indicates that you enjoy the topic - amateur radio, building your own computer systems, hobby electronics, IEEE activity -- anything that shows an interest beyond the "it's just a job" perspective.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Sharrock52

Reply #3 - May 23rd, 2008, 4:11pm

I work for a chip firm in Sunnyvale, CA, and in my department we hire about 10 new grads a year as Applications Engineers.  If you don't pass our screen for understanding of basic analog circuitry you don't get an interview.  The questions get a bit tougher when you come for interview.  The biggest issue we face is that new grads often don't have a good grounding in analog.  We speculate that classes on digital topics are of more interest to the majority of students.  So a student who has a real passion for analog will probably have gained a good understanding of the analog basics during his undergrad years, and he'll shine in our evaluations.

We also value work ethic, and an ability to talk to customers.  So you get extra credit if you worked as a waiter to pay your way through college -- seriously!  Of course, maturity is important to us as well.  We want people who will keep their commitments and will show up on time when they have meetings or specific duties.  And you have to dress for the interview -- no, I don't much care how you dress per se, but I do care that you have the maturity and foresight to know that dressing well is expected in interview situations.

Good luck!

View Profile   IP Logged
Eugene

Reply #4 - May 24th, 2008, 11:29am

It is of course important to answer your interview questions correctly to demonstrate your knowledge and your ability to think on your feet. However, I also look for job candidates to ask questions when given a chance.  As a new graduate, you may not have enough experience to ask hard technical questions. But then again, you may just hit on a very deep question, which would impress your interviewer. But more importantly, if you truly interested in a field, your curiousity should outweigh your fear of asking dumb questions.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.