The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 18th, 2024, 10:23am
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
how to predict oscillator's start-up time? (Read 16998 times)
sapphire
Community Member

how to predict oscillator's start-up time?
May 30th, 2008, 1:06pm

Hi,

I'd like to know how long it takes for oscillator to reach steady-state when it's suddenly powered up. Is there any reference I can find?

Thanks

Sapphire

View Profile   IP Logged
buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Re: how to predict oscillator's start-up time?
Reply #1 - May 31st, 2008, 4:13am

Good question, but hard to answer.
The only answer I can give is as follows:
As a general rule one can expect that an oscillator exhibiting a frequency determining circuitry with a high pole Q will need a longer time period to settle if compared with a low Q circuit.
But, in addition, the time depends on other parameters like bias conditions, amount of "over design" (loop gain >1), kind of amplitude stabilization,...

LvW (buddypoor: In memory of the great late Buddy Rich)
View Profile   IP Logged
sapphire
Community Member

Reply #2 - Jun 1st, 2008, 9:52pm

I thought Q determines the turn-off time more, but not sure how it's related to the turn-on time.

For turn-on time, I tried to use equivalent negative resistance at start-up condition, but this number will approach zero when the oscillator reaches steady-state. But I don't know how to represent its change along this process.

View Profile   IP Logged
rfmems

Reply #3 - Jun 2nd, 2008, 1:07am

start up time depends on gm the active part provides, the load resistance and the tank capacitance, of course the steady state amplitude also. It is difficult to predict accurately as gm is nonlinear of both voltage and time, but first order approx. is easy.

Anyway, can't you simulate that with transient?

View Profile   IP Logged
buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Reply #4 - Jun 2nd, 2008, 3:01am

Perhaps the following additional information can help to estimate the start-up time because of the relationship between filters and oscillators:

As a rough estimate the settling time is app.
bandpass:    tau= 1/bandwidth
lowpass:      tau=1/2*bandwidth  

Of course, bandwidth is correlated with Q (and Q with damping resistors and capacitors).

View Profile   IP Logged
rfmems

Reply #5 - Jun 2nd, 2008, 5:36am

I think it is not directly related to the passive Q. The time constant should be like -(Rneg+Rl)C. However, Rneg is quite difficult to evaluate rigorously since it is nonlinear function of voltage, people normally relies on simulation

View Profile   IP Logged
buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Reply #6 - Jun 2nd, 2008, 10:19am

I like to repeat that the start-up time is correlated with the Q of the frequency determining circuitry. This has been proven by experiment as well as simulation. But, in addition there are some other influencing parameters as mentioned before.
(comment to the reply above: negative resistance oscillators are a specific version of a two-pole network. The question was a general one including four-pole oscillators).

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #7 - Jun 2nd, 2008, 10:26am

IMHO you cant really answer the question. Too many unknowns, so to speak. Generally bias and control circuits are much lower in BW than the oscillator itself and frequently dominate the power cyclng process.

Why not do a cold start simulation and see what the time constants are in the system?

Jerry

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
sapphire
Community Member

Reply #8 - Jun 2nd, 2008, 12:01pm

With simulation, that's very easy to determine the start-up time.

I am working on a paper, so it's helpful to put some analysis with equations. It's also interesting to quantify the problem.
Right now, I just find out the time constant at the start-up condition, and use this number as a bound for estimating the turn-on time. If I can move a step further to find the average time constant along the transient, that's so great.

View Profile   IP Logged
buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Reply #9 - Jun 3rd, 2008, 12:31am

Hi sapphire,

in preparing your paper perhaps the following information is useful for you:

There is an application note from MICROSIM (former vendor of PSpice) dealing with high-Q oscillators.
This AN is contained in a booklet with several other ANs and can be downloaded via the following link

http://www.it.uom.gr/project/digital/appnts.pdf

In this AN my presumption is confirmed that the start-up time is proportional to the Q factor.
Regards

View Profile   IP Logged
sapphire
Community Member

Reply #10 - Jun 3rd, 2008, 11:32am

Hi buddypoor,

Thanks for your information. Could you please tell me which page of the applicatio note is related with the question?

Regards,

Sapphire

View Profile   IP Logged
buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Reply #11 - Jun 3rd, 2008, 11:39am

In my edition it is on page 225.
The name of the AN is "Simulating High-Q circuits using open loop response"

View Profile   IP Logged
sapphire
Community Member

Reply #12 - Jun 3rd, 2008, 2:54pm

Thanks buddypoor. I read that part of the AN, and seems it is mainly introducing some simulation skills for crystal oscillator.

I got some new thoughts about the turn-on transient. The Q of resonator is related with turn-on time through the parallel tank resistance. High resistance means large time constant, which therefore makes the turn-on time longer. First calculate the average oscillator negative resistance along the transient, and parallel this number with the tank resistance, and then multiply with the tank capacitance to have the equivalent time constant.

The first step is a little tricky.

|Rneg| = (Rp+(-Rneg1))/n,     Rp is the tank resistance, Rneg1 is the small-signal diff pair negative resistance, Rneg is the average negative resistance
                                            n is an empirical constant and should be greater than 2.  
                                            I think n is equal to 2.5

More discussion is welcome

View Profile   IP Logged
buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Reply #13 - Jun 4th, 2008, 12:13am

Unfortunately, at the start of this topic you have forgotten to mention that you were speaking of an oscillator based on a LC tank circuit with negative resistance in parallel. So I´ve tried to give a general answer because I believe there must be a general one - independent on the specific case.
As far as your approach and your formulas are concerned - I have to think about it.

View Profile   IP Logged
Hyvonen

Reply #14 - Jun 4th, 2008, 3:16am

I wrote a relatively long response to this, but unfortunately I lost it due to an unfortunate copy/paste incident.  :-/  So, I'll here's a short version - please ask if you need details.

In any LC-based oscillator, the losses in the tank are caused by nonidealities such as parasitic resistance.  These are modeled with tank Q - the higher the better.  This tank Q also represents the "tank resistance" Rp sapphire mentioned; a quick approximation would be Rp=Qtank*Ztank, where Ztank=2*pi*fres*L=1/(2*pi*fres*C) and fres=1/(2*pi*L*C).

To achieve and sustain oscillation a method of cancelling or compensating for the tank losses is needed - that's what the negative resistance is for.  Assuming it is sufficient to overcome the losses, the oscillation amplitude will increase from cycle to cycle.  This would be similar to an RC discharge, where the voltage slowly discharges, and the voltage could be calculated at any time point if we knew the RC time constant and the initial value, only that this time the value of R would be negative.

And this is where it gets tricky; to know how the amplitude changes over time, we need the time constant, the oscillation frequency etc.  But to know the exact value of the amplitude, we would also need to know the initial value.  In practice, the "initial value" depends on the amount of noise in the circuit, and that is somewhat hard to analyze - because of this, there is no simple answer to your question.  However, the trends are definitely there - the higher your tank Q is, the faster the amplitude will ramp up, and the "more effective" negative resistance (e.g., the mode current you burn in your active transistor), the faster the amplitude will ramp up.

Overall, the only way to make the amplitude predictable is if you could have a well-defined initial value for the circuit at start-up (e.g., having an uneven initial bias voltages for a differential negative-R stage in a differential oscillator) - you could use that as the starting point for the calculation instead of a much less reliable estimation of noise in the circuit.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.