The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 17th, 2024, 9:35am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Strobed noise problem (Read 8573 times)
Ryan Cheung

Strobed noise problem
Jun 3rd, 2008, 7:29am

Hi all,
As we know, the strobed noise is valid only in the frequency range of -fo/2 to +fo/2, where the fo stands for output freuqency.
I have got the strobed phase noise of a buffer which is the input buffer for the PFD input. If the ouput frequency of the buffer is 40MHz, thus the phase noise is only valid between 0~20MHz (if half the side band is considered). Then I use the phase noise data to a frequency domain model of the PLL in matlab in order to estimate the output phase noise of PLL. Because of the input phase noise is only valid between 0~20MHz, I could only calculate the phase noise of PLL between 2GHz~2GHz+20MHz and if I want to get the phase noise at higher frequency offset, say  2GHz+40MHz, there is no valid data availble for input phase noise. What should I do?

Any anwser is appreciated!

-Ryan

« Last Edit: Jun 04th, 2008, 3:31am by Ryan Cheung »  
View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Re: Strobed noise problem
Reply #1 - Jun 3rd, 2008, 8:50am

You are wrong when you say the output from strobed noise is only valid over a range of -f0/2 to +f0/2. Rather the noise is periodic with a period of f0, so you only need to know the noise over the range -f0/2 to +f0/2. Once you know if over that range, you know it everywhere.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
David Lee

Reply #2 - Jun 3rd, 2008, 10:47pm

Do a conventional pnoise analysis of your input buffer + FPD + charge pump + loop filter, at your frequency of interest.

- David
View Profile   IP Logged
Ryan Cheung

Reply #3 - Jun 4th, 2008, 3:07am

Ken Kundert wrote on Jun 3rd, 2008, 8:50am:
You are wrong when you say the output from strobed noise is only valid over a range of -f0/2 to +f0/2. Rather the noise is periodic with a period of f0, so you only need to know the noise over the range -f0/2 to +f0/2. Once you know if over that range, you know it everywhere.

-Ken

Thanks Ken, David Smiley
As far as I know, all of the noise power concentrate between -fo/2 ~ +fo/2, and for a simple RC network, the power would be kT/C. If the noise is periodic with a period of fo, the total power would be infinite in the whole frequency range because there are infinite shares of kT/C with a period of fo? I fail to figure out where the extra noise power comes from or do I misunderstand something?
There still is another problem. As you said, the strobed noise is periodic, so there should exist replicas of the noise spectrum between -fo~+fo. For my PLL under test mentioned above, the input clock buffer before PFD operate at 40MHz, so I should get a spectrum of strobed phase noise with replicas at 40MHz, 80MHz, 120MHz, ..., etc.. When I use this spectrum as reference clock phase noise in Matlab, I would see strong spurs at these frequency offsets for the noise at these points runing to infinite. Am I right?

-Ryan

View Profile   IP Logged
David Lee

Reply #4 - Jun 4th, 2008, 12:32pm

This is an excellent question.

In real life, the output waveform of your input buffer has finite noise power. The spectrum extends from -infinity to +infinity. When you sample the output waveform periodically, the noise samples also have a finite power (finite variance). The spectrum of the noise samples is periodic outside (-fo/2,+fo/2). The total noise power (variance) within (-fo/2,+fo/2) is finite. The fundamental issue is this. You are trying to take information from a discrete-time noise sequence, and apply it to a continous-time system (PLL). To avoid this, do everything in continuous time.

So, run regular pnoise analysis on input buffer + PFD + charge pump + loop filter to obtain accurate result at any frequency f.
This will include noise at these frequencies: f, fo +/- f, 2 fo +/- f, 3 fo +/- f, ...

« Last Edit: Jun 4th, 2008, 7:19pm by David Lee »  

- David
View Profile   IP Logged
Ryan Cheung

Reply #5 - Jun 5th, 2008, 5:13am

David,

Thanks for your reply!
So you mean I should use 'noise type=sources' in pnoise to simulate on buffer+PFD+charge pump+loop filter? But this type of simulation gives time averaged noise. Could this correctly describe the phase noise behavior if a digital buffer (with discrete noise attribute) is included?

Another problem. What if I want to simulate the phase noise of a digital buffer at the PLL output. I have to add this discrete-time noise with the phase noise of the PLL (continuous one), and the same problem is unavoidable. Any suggestion is appreciated!  :-[

-Ryan

View Profile   IP Logged
David Lee

Reply #6 - Jun 5th, 2008, 9:12am

Ryan Cheung wrote on Jun 5th, 2008, 5:13am:
David,

Thanks for your reply!
So you mean I should use 'noise type=sources' in pnoise to simulate on buffer+PFD+charge pump+loop filter? But this type of simulation gives time averaged noise. Could this correctly describe the phase noise behavior if a digital buffer (with discrete noise attribute) is included?

In many PLLs, much of the PLL phase noise comes from the loop filter. Would you use time averaged noise to model that? Or noise at a set of discrete times? Both are approximations of reality, but I think time averaged noise is much more realistic, because the VCO is designed to react to its inputs at all times.

- David
View Profile   IP Logged
Ryan Cheung

Reply #7 - Jun 6th, 2008, 8:00pm

Thanks,

Yeah, you are right. But my PFD here is a special architecture and we have a tight spec., so any noise source cannot be ignored. So I am very concern about the phase noise contributed from blocks like buffer, PFD, and charge pump, which may be igored in traditional design.
So, if I run PFD+charge pump with 'noise type=sources', and the PFD jitter is dominant, could the simulator give me a good estimation of current noise at loop filter?

-Ryan

View Profile   IP Logged
David Lee

Reply #8 - Jun 10th, 2008, 12:40pm

By simulating buffer + PFD + charge pump + loop filter together, you can see the total noise at the output of the loop filter, due to all noise sources from your entire circuit. No approximation is needed.

- David
View Profile   IP Logged
Ryan Cheung

Reply #9 - Jun 10th, 2008, 11:12pm

David,

Thank you very much! I have done the same thing as you said. But the simulator always gives a warning saying that the 'maxsamples' need to be given a large number. What does the 'maxsamples' option mean?

-Ryan

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.