The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 26th, 2024, 9:00am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
IQ measurement (Read 3023 times)
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

IQ measurement
Jun 03rd, 2008, 8:40pm

Hi all,

I need to measure the IQ performance (amplitude and phase mismatch) of a down-conversion mixer. Due to the limitations of the probe station i can only probe three differential signals. So if i have one as the LO and one as the RF input, I can only measure 1 output. That makes it a little difficult to measure both I and Q at the same time.

Since i have one GSSG output, I was thinking of using it as: Gnd Signal_I Signal_Q Gnd. Then i can take the I and Q signals separately and measure amplitude and phase mismatch on an oscilloscope. Is this possible?

thanks,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
ACWWong
Community Fellow

Oxford, UK
Re: IQ measurement
Reply #1 - Jun 4th, 2008, 4:21am

why do you need to probe LO ? don't you have an oscillator on the chip ?

if you do only have 1 probe, what you suggest seems reasonable, although i'd also look at G,IB,QB,G to confirm the result and G,I,IB,G and G,Q,QB,G to get the most information. Also you might like to measure the mismatch using a VSA with IQ inputs or similar rather than a scope to get perhaps better phase mismatch accuracy numbers.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.