The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 18th, 2024, 2:24pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
metal line width (Read 1804 times)
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

metal line width
Jun 09th, 2008, 7:11pm

Hi all,

I have a metal line carrying an LO signal but not DC current. The line is quite long (~0.5mm) and the LO is at 2.4 GHz. I doubt that the series resistance of the line will matter since it is driving a rather small capacitive load, but i'm worried that the capacitance of the line will be large. Therefore, i decided to route it using a line width of only 0.4 um. Will there be any issues with using such a long line with such a small width? Is it better to use a wider line?

thanks,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
ACWWong
Community Fellow

Oxford, UK
Re: metal line width
Reply #1 - Jun 10th, 2008, 2:02am

Hi Aaron,

you should be able to "extract" the capacitance of your LO line and put it back into the simulation. This is also true for the resistance and inductance using tools like Assura etc.

anyway you should use higher/top level metals far from substrate and minimise other metals crossing... i don't see a problem with 0.4um * 0.5mm length if properly extracted and accounted for, but what I would say is that if the track was say 0.8um wide, then roughly the resistance would half, but the capacitance would only increase by say 33% and not double because fringing capacitance should be dominate over bottom plate capacitance for such a thin line.

cheers
aw

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.