The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 18th, 2024, 12:36am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How to design current source for RF circuits?? (Read 166 times)
zhangjerome
Community Member

How to design current source for RF circuits??
Jun 11th, 2008, 8:13pm

Generally we use long channel devices to design current sources in low frequency circuits. Long channel device leads
to large parasitics, which can be significant in RF application. Is there any rule of thumb for current source design??

Thank you.

View Profile   IP Logged
vivkr
Community Fellow

Re: How to design current source for RF circuits??
Reply #1 - Jun 12th, 2008, 3:24am

which parasitics are we talking about?

Gate-drain cap (CGD) is mostly overlap cap and thus independent of L.
Gate-source cap (CGS) should not matter as it will only load the bias reference levels from a diode connected transistor.

Longer L will actually give you a good current source and better PSRR, well not at RF though Smiley

Regards
Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
Hyvonen

Reply #2 - Jun 12th, 2008, 8:40am

Zhangjerome: Do you mean that long-channel device leads to high parasitics because you have to increase also the width to get the same W/L (or overdrive for a given current)?

You will have to just take the hit in either Rout or parasitics... or, if you have headroom, you could consider using a cascode.  And Vivek makes a good point - at what frequency do you want your PSRR to be high (and how high)?

View Profile   IP Logged
zhangjerome
Community Member

Reply #3 - Jun 14th, 2008, 1:27am

Yeah, that's what I mean. Both W and L have to be increased if long channel devices are used to implement the current source with constant current.

It's not only the PSRR. Small output impedance and large parasitic cap both lead to RF signal leakge  if  the current source is used as  load.

View Profile   IP Logged
Hyvonen

Reply #4 - Jun 14th, 2008, 1:16pm

I assume you don't need to match the output impedance to 50ohms etc.
If your amplifier is narrow-band, maybe an LC tank could do the job.  If it's broadband, then maybe you could use an actual physical resistor as a load...?  Or are you really shooting for a maximum possible gain (like in an opamp), while maximizing gain?  I think I would look into a cascode in that case.

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #5 - Jun 16th, 2008, 12:34pm

One other thing - Current sources are noisy! A lot of engineers design RF systems using current sources and active load structures --- until --- they look at the noise performance! Then, things get redesigned into resistors, or LC methods.

Also, don't obsesses on keeping the currents perfect and put cascodes everywhere. In most cases the current can vary some and you dont need the cascode. More headroom, fewer components and usually quieter

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.