The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 22nd, 2024, 9:20am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
the preamp's noise impact on SARADC comparator &nb (Read 2682 times)
SARdesign

Beijing PR.China
the preamp's noise impact on SARADC comparator &nb
Jun 18th, 2008, 9:09am

Hi designers:
   I'm designing a high accuracy SAR ADC, so I have to consider the noise of the comparator whose architecture  is preamp plus latch. In the cadence ADE we can plot the squared input and output noise, so should I integrate the output noise and  extract root,  then divide the DC gain, or integrate the input referred noise and extract root directly?
  I prefer to the former, because when a small signal is amplified at the output, this output signal may be contaminated by the output noise then sampled by the latch, so, on this point, we should compare the output signal power with the output noise power. when I evaluate the SNR degradation of the preamp noise with matlab, I need the input referred noise power. it is right? but...
when I discuss it with the other colleague, he gives me the latter calculation method. his point is: the gain is change with the frequency.
   can any body help me for a decision?

View Profile   IP Logged
jerryzhao

Re: the preamp's noise impact on SARADC comparator &nb
Reply #1 - Sep 2nd, 2008, 11:43pm

I integrate the output noise and  extract root,  then divide the DC gain.and compare with 1/2LSB. Of course the gain is change with the frequency. But we only care the -3db bandwidth of preamp that gain almost same dc gain.

View Profile   IP Logged
rf-design

Reiner Franke

Germany
Re: the preamp's noise impact on SARADC comparator &nb
Reply #2 - Sep 22nd, 2008, 3:45pm

You should be careful by estimating the equivalent input noise rms form AC noise simulations. The problem is that the noise contributions within the circuit are maximum at different times. Typical the AC noise estimation start with a circuit at a quite operating point. That work quite well for amps at stable DC operating points.

If you want to estimate the noise of the falling edge of an inverter there is only a very small contribution of the PMOS at these edge. If you bias the inverter so that the output is at the oberserving point the noise voltage is wrong by a factor.

Use the transient noise analysis.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.