The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 18th, 2024, 10:53pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
noise simulation concept (Read 7133 times)
nathanee

noise simulation concept
Jul 03rd, 2008, 6:53am

Hi, there,

Please help to clarify the following concept about noise and simulation method.

1. Thermal, flicker, and KT/C noise CAN NOT be simulated by using spectre/hspice transient method.
2. Thermal, flicker, and KT/C noise CAN be simulated by using spectre/hspice ac method.
3. Thermal, flicker, and KT/C noise CAN be simulated by using spectreRF.

Thanks in advance.

BR,
-nathan

View Profile   IP Logged
pancho_hideboo
Senior Fellow

Real Homeless
Re: noise simulation concept
Reply #1 - Jul 3rd, 2008, 6:26pm

I can't find any design issue in your post.
Your question is not design issue but simple feature of specific vendor's EDA tool.  
Please post to "The Designer's Guide Community Forum ≫ Simulators ≫ RF Simulators".

nathanee wrote on Jul 3rd, 2008, 6:53am:

What do you mean by "concept" ?

1. Thermal, flicker, and KT/C noise CAN NOT be simulated by using spectre/hspice transient method.

Apart from accuracy, you can evaluate these noise using transient noise analysis in Spectre.
I don't think HSPICE supports transient noise analysis. So you can't evaluate these noise using HSPICE's transient analysis.

2. Thermal, flicker, and KT/C noise CAN be simulated by using spectre/hspice ac method.

For time invariant circuit, you can evaluate thermal and flicker noise using AC noise analysis in both Spectre and HSPICE.
But you can't evaluate KT/C noise directly using Spectre's AC analysis.
On the other hand you can evaluate KT/C noise using HSPICE's combination analysis of ".AC", ".Noise", and ".SAMPLE" analysis, although it is not accurate evaluation.

Yes, for periodically time varied circuit, you can evaluate these noise using Shooting Newton Method in both SpectreRF and HSPICE RF.

View Profile WWW Top+Secret Top+Secret   IP Logged
daisy

Reply #2 - Jul 18th, 2008, 3:35am

Hi!
In my opinion,when thermal noise 4KTR passes through a rc circuit,the output noise equals KT/C,so we call it KTC noise.I'm not sure whether it is correct or there is another kind of noise called KTC noise like thermal noise and flicker noise?
And I also have another question.What does the frequency mean in flicker noise?If I want to compute the output noise of  the circuit, should I integrate the psd of the filcker noise in the bandwidth or from 0 to infinity?I found it is hard to get the result if I integrate in the bandwidth.

Thank you for your explanation!
daisy

pancho_hideboo wrote on Jul 3rd, 2008, 6:26pm:
I can't find any design issue in your post.
Your question is not design issue but simple feature of specific vendor's EDA tool.  
Please post to "The Designer's Guide Community Forum ≫ Simulators ≫ RF Simulators".

What do you mean by "concept" ?

Apart from accuracy, you can evaluate these noise using transient noise analysis in Spectre.
I don't think HSPICE supports transient noise analysis. So you can't evaluate these noise using HSPICE's transient analysis.

For time invariant circuit, you can evaluate thermal and flicker noise using AC noise analysis in both Spectre and HSPICE.
But you can't evaluate KT/C noise directly using Spectre's AC analysis.
On the other hand you can evaluate KT/C noise using HSPICE's combination analysis of ".AC", ".Noise", and ".SAMPLE" analysis, although it is not accurate evaluation.

Yes, for periodically time varied circuit, you can evaluate these noise using Shooting Newton Method in both SpectreRF and HSPICE RF.

View Profile daisy   IP Logged
pancho_hideboo
Senior Fellow

Real Homeless
Reply #3 - Jul 18th, 2008, 5:48pm

daisy wrote on Jul 18th, 2008, 3:35am:
In my opinion,when thermal noise 4KTR passes through a rc circuit,the output noise equals KT/C,so we call it KTC noise.

This is no more than thermal noise from resistor in time invariant circuit.
But generally term of "kT/C noise" is used for sampled, switched or chopped noise, e.g. noises seen in switched capacitor filter circuit.

And I also have another question.What does the frequency mean in flicker noise?If I want to compute the output noise of  the circuit, should I integrate the psd of the filcker noise in the bandwidth or from 0 to infinity?I found it is hard to get the result if I integrate in the bandwidth.

I can't understand your question. What do you want to know ?
Maybe you don't understand flicker noise correctly.

daisy

Reply #4 - Jul 18th, 2008, 6:31pm

Hi!
Thank you for your answer!
1.Yes,I mean in a switched capacitor circuit,the switched mos works in the linearity region,so its thermal noise equals 4KTR,where R equals 1/gds,and it results a noise value KT/C in a capacitor which is parallelly connected to the mosfet.Is it right?
2.What I want to know is as follows:in flicker noise formula K/CoxWLf,what does the frequency mean?Does it mean any frequency within the circuit bandwidth?If it is,if I want to get the total flicker noise at the output node,should I integrate the PSD formula in the range of the bandwidth?

Thank you for your explanation!
daisy
pancho_hideboo wrote on Jul 18th, 2008, 5:48pm:
In my opinion,when thermal noise 4KTR passes through a rc circuit,the output noise equals KT/C,so we call it KTC noise.

This is no more than thermal noise from resistor.
But generally term of "kT/C noise" is used for switched or chopped noise, e.g. in switched capacitor filter circuit.

I can't understand your question. What do you want to know ?
Maybe you don't understand flicker noise correctly.

View Profile daisy   IP Logged
pancho_hideboo
Senior Fellow

Real Homeless
Reply #5 - Jul 18th, 2008, 6:52pm

daisy wrote on Jul 18th, 2008, 6:31pm:
1.Yes,I mean in a switched capacitor circuit,the switched mos works in the linearity region,so its thermal noise equals 4KTR,where R equals 1/gds,and it results a noise value KT/C in a capacitor which is parallelly connected to the mosfet.Is it right?

I don't know what test circuit you assume.
Do you assume a time invariant condition and no noise other than gds ?
If so,  right.

2.What I want to know is as follows:in flicker noise formula K/CoxWLf,what does the frequency mean?

It means operation frequency, that is analysis frequency.

Does it mean any frequency within the circuit bandwidth?If it is,if I want to get the total flicker noise at the output node,should I integrate the PSD formula in the range of the bandwidth?

Do you understand noise holding in periodically time varied circuit ?

You should integrate noise over bandwidth you have interest.
See
http://www.designers-guide.org/Forum/YaBB.pl?num=1211952319
http://www.designers-guide.org/Forum/YaBB.pl?num=1207830622
http://www.designers-guide.org/Forum/YaBB.pl?num=1059089369

« Last Edit: Jul 18th, 2008, 8:04pm by pancho_hideboo »  
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.