The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 17th, 2024, 12:17am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
purpose of off-chip band-select filter (Read 8668 times)
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

purpose of off-chip band-select filter
Jul 03rd, 2008, 11:49pm

Hi all,

just wondering, is the purpose of the off-chip band-select filter usually to suppress received interference or to suppress transmitted spurs generated by the PLL and PA?

I guess it depends on the application, but lets say ISM band applications for example...

thanks,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
didac

There's a million
ways to see the
things in life

manresa,spain
Re: purpose of off-chip band-select filter
Reply #1 - Jul 4th, 2008, 12:49am

Hi,
Both options are correct, it helps to filter out of band interferers and helps to avoid out of bands spurs generated by the transceiver.
Hope it helps,

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #2 - Jul 4th, 2008, 1:14am

just wondering because i just read a paper where they avoided the use of an off-chip filter because the spurious transmissions were reduced some other way. no mention of incoming interference...

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
didac

There's a million
ways to see the
things in life

manresa,spain
Reply #3 - Jul 4th, 2008, 6:32am

Hi,
Could you post the reference?, I suppose that if care it's taken the spurs will be below the emission limits. For the receiver part I can only think right now on two situations were you don't put a band select filter for out of band blockers: UWB systems that cover several GHz of bandwidth and don't make sense to use a filter(although I suppose that the could use something), this systems are usually limited by interferences not noise. The other systems I can think it's the "new" approach to Software Defined RadioReceivers(this transceiver with direct sampling) that are made with the intention of multistandard capability so Bandpass filtering it's not needed(in fact they arise from the need to reduce front ends and filtering), but for what I know they need high linearity front-ends.

aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #4 - Jul 4th, 2008, 5:54pm

Hi,

i'll post the reference as soon as I ge back to work. As far as i remember though, there was no other special reason for not needing an off-chip filter for the RX...

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #5 - Jul 6th, 2008, 8:15pm

Hi didac,

sorry about the delay. The paper is "A Fully Integrated SOC for 802.11b in 0.18-μm CMOS" IEEE Journal of Solid-State Circuits, vol. 40, no. 12, Dec 2005. There are 22 authors, but the first is Shahla Khorram.

Its a good read and it appears to be designed by Broadcom since all the authors work there...

cheers,
Aaron

View Profile   IP Logged
didac

There's a million
ways to see the
things in life

manresa,spain
Reply #6 - Jul 7th, 2008, 2:07am

Hi,
Thanks for the reference and don't worry for the delay it was weekend. I've made a quick reading and I see that in fact they take care of transmitted spurs with internal filtering(section D) at the output of the LO generator and as they indicate they used a linear PA(AB)-they said clearly that a non-linear PA could cause problems with out of band spurs-. What I'm not sure if that they could go without band select filter for the receiver, I would try to search for their reference design for WLAN modules and see what they say.
Thanks for the reference,

didac

There's a million
ways to see the
things in life

manresa,spain
Reply #7 - Jul 7th, 2008, 3:35am

Hi,
I didn't find a reference design for Broadcom modules(although a couple for other companies and they use the band select filter), but re-reading the paper it appears(I think) the clue for avoiding a band select filter in the input, they indicate that they use two RSSI one before the channel select filter that it's used to estimate the blocker level and adjust LNA gain dynamically so it seems that they can survive to blockers, the other RSSI it's just the typical one.

aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #8 - Jul 7th, 2008, 4:44am

Hi,

yeah I suppose that is at least part of the reason. I would think that the antenna has some selectivity too anyway right?

Aaron

View Profile   IP Logged
didac

There's a million
ways to see the
things in life

manresa,spain
Reply #9 - Jul 7th, 2008, 5:49am

Hi,
In principle it's true that antenna has a selectivity but in WLAN it's better to expect that the user made some strange things and be sure that the module itself is compliant... Look the attached WLAN antenna(that works and it's very easy to mount) or google for pringles,can antenna.

bwpringlescantenna.gif
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #10 - Jul 7th, 2008, 6:37am

haha...very nice.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.