The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 19th, 2024, 3:14pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
CDM ESD failure (Read 10543 times)
sajinvm

CDM ESD failure
Jul 15th, 2008, 4:06am

Hi all, I have attached a general ESD protection circuitry. The primary ESD is for HBM protection and secondary ESD is for CDM protection. I have the following doubt in CDM.

1. From the figure, i understand that the CDM ESD current will come from the pad and the secondary ESD protection circuit will take that current to vdd or vss. How the CDM current can come from pad? It should be coming from the core, because it is the discharge from the core as far as i understand.

Can somebody please clarify this?

ESD.jpg
View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Re: CDM ESD failure
Reply #1 - Jul 15th, 2008, 6:04pm

your secondary ESD should be tied to the same power and ground as the receiver circuit

you are trying to limit the Vgs of the transistors there.

There shoud also be limiter between power/ground supply rings as well.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
sajinvm

Reply #2 - Jul 15th, 2008, 9:14pm

Hi , Thank you very much for the reply. So my main doubt is in the path of CDM ESD discharge. Where it will start ?

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #3 - Aug 3rd, 2008, 3:50pm

Hers a good description:

http://www.siliconfareast.com/esdmodels2.htm

The CDM model is all about the discharge of a chip body to ground, instead of a capacitive charge buildup outside the chp being discharged into the chip.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #4 - Sep 29th, 2008, 8:19am

And don't get too hung up about which direction the current goes (to/from the pad) -- recall that ESD testing is done for both polarities, and for CDM, the tester will make contact with one pin/pad, so the current has to flow through there.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
Anbu

Reply #5 - Oct 13th, 2008, 12:56am

Hello Sajin,

As I understand, Primary ESD device will discharge the CDM ESD current from the CORE to PAD. This discharge current through the supply rails from CORE to the PAD will build considerable voltage across the supply rail resistance, which in turn apprears at the Gate of the Input section. Here the role of Secondary ESD is to discharge that voltage back to the supply rails and to the PAD maintaining a safe voltage at the input gate oxide.

Hence Primary ESD is to discharge the ESD current and Secondary ESD is to maintain low voltage across the Input gate oxide. Hope this helps you.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.