The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 20th, 2024, 3:51am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
audio playback quality requirements in SLIMbus/digital filter requirements (Read 3812 times)
vivkr
Community Fellow

audio playback quality requirements in SLIMbus/digital filter requirements
Jul 18th, 2008, 7:38am

Hi All,

I was looking through the specs for SLIMbus from MIPI and there is some mention of CD-quality playback. I was wondering if the audio playback quality is expected to be as good as normal CD, or portable CD players, or worse, since this is an interface for mobile phone applications. I don't know if the quality of ordinary headphones is that good.

Based on the above, there would be restrictions on the kind of digital filter one can use in the ADC chain. I assume that IIR filters are out due to phase distortion, and one can only use FIR. Am I right in supposing this or is it still ok to have IIR?

Any comments are welcome.

Regards
Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
KDB

Re: audio playback quality requirements in SLIMbus/digital filter requirements
Reply #1 - Sep 12th, 2008, 11:47am

Hi,

The provisions of SLIMbus allow LPCM data to be transported at a number of different bit widths and sample rates.  Therefore, it is possible to have some "standard" 44.1KHz, 16 bit digital audio being transported, which is what is often referred to as CD Quality.  But higher and lower sample rates can also be transported, as well as bit widths up to 32 bits.

Therefore, and DAC or codec filters would have to be tailored for what rates and bit widths you want to support, and the ability to adjust depending upon the incoming sample rate/bit width format.

SLIMbus itself does not impose any particular filter characteristics.

KDB

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.